Mala Mala clothing/footwear

Dec 30th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Mala Mala clothing/footwear

I'm going to Mala Mala camp in the Sabi Sand Reserve in March. Does anyone know the dress code there. I've heard it can be fairly formal - does that mean dressing for dinner. Also what weather can I expect on the safari drives - will i need rainproof and cold weather gear at all? Are boots recommended for walking or will trainers/sneakers suffice. All advice much appreciated.
Dec 30th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Neil,

I was at Singita in March 2002, and the weather was nice and warm. Singita cannot be more than 5 miles away from Mala Mala so the weather should be the same. I don't recall ever needing even a light jacket, although maybe one would be nice for the evening/morning game drives, but even then probably not necessary.

I distinctly remember an obnoxious uppity couple that I had to share a couple game drives with, with their sweaters draped on their shoulders and tied around their neck. I would have like to tighten the noose a little bit, hehehe. But, my point is that they did not feel it necessary to use their sweaters as anything more than a bad fashion statement.

I wouldn't worry about getting dressed up for dinner. Even at Singita, most people were casually dressed.

For walking, I would suggest either a good pair of Birkenstock type sandals or a pair of running shoes will suffice just fine. No need for boots...they will just weigh down your luggage. Personally, for my recently completed three weeks in Zambia and South Africa (including 15 safari nights, 3 of them at Simbambili in the Sabi Sand), I wore Birkenstock type sandals the entire time.

Have a great time in the Sabi Sand.
Dec 30th, 2005, 09:53 AM

The formality is in things like the rangers standing when ladies enter the room. Everyone is pretty casual at dinner, when I am there with no weight restrictions on my luggage I generally make a bit more effort at dinner, smart slacks and a nice shirt. When I am going on to Botswana and the luggage is restricted then I am more casual.

March can be chilly. The vehicles all have rain suits which help to keep you almost dry. With luck you should have warm weather with a few showers at most. We did have our worst day ever in March with quite cold rain. It rained all night so we asked to go out after an early breakfast, this meant we avoided the worst of the rain. The afternoon game drive was also quite wet, but we saw lots, so who cares.
Dec 30th, 2005, 10:31 AM
sandi

We visited in November when the daytime temps are rather warm/hot and humid. Even though, when out on game drives in open vehicles it can and is quite cold once the vehicles are moving at speed. It's a good idea to have a thermal under your shirt, a jacket, gloves, do wear socks... a scarf is a good idea even though the vehicles have blankets. Seems a bit strange with these layers, because once you stop all you want to do is peel off the layers. However, for those who weren't prepared the look on their faces were pure discomfort. Mornings can be downright cold while evenings have a definite chill in the air. So consider these items which don't take up much space in your luggage.

No one, even at Singita "dressed" for dinner and Mala Mala is much more relaxed. Some men did wear slacks (rather than jeans or Khakis) with a shirt; women also wore smart slacks or a skirt with sweather and bright scarf of shawl to protect from the evening chill especially if dinner is served outdoors. Some of the younger honeymooner women were in spaghetti-strap slip dresses. That was the extent of "dress-up."

For game drives, most everyone was in ordinary earthtone comfy slacks and shirts/t-shirts (khakis, tans, beiges). Shoes were either runners, mocassins, Teva-type sandels. The few guests who were dressed with so-called "safari clothing" as if they walked off the pages of Vogue actually looked out of place.

Leave the boots at home - you might take a walk, but you're sure not climbing a mountain.

Happy travels.

Search this Thread