Makweti Lodge

Oct 21st, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Makweti Lodge

Can anyone comment on this lodge in the Welgendoven reserve? My husband and I are interested in staying a couple nights in a luxury lodge in the Kruger area but are finding that it is extremely pricey and time consuming to get there from Jo'burg. Is there any insight on Ngala Main Lodge, The Outpost, or Garonga? Any websites (besides their own) that have specials or deals?

Thanks so much.
Dec 18th, 2005, 12:10 AM

My better half and myself spent five wonderful days at Garonga in late 2003. Some posters have stated that the place is more of a bush spa than a game lodge but at least at that time that was not the case.

While there is aromatherapy etc. available, there is most definitely great game viewing available and the atmosphere is lovely and IMHO less "industrial" than in many places in Sabi Sands etc (alhtough Sabi is better from a purely Big 5 perspective).

The accommodations were great (the tents are lovely) and the food superb, as well as the service.

They did not have buffaloes and leopards are scarce, but they did have plenty of elephants, lions, and rhinos. They also offer good walking safari options and you can also spend a night in a private camp out of the main camp.

We liked the place a great deal and thought it was an excellent value for money.

Another option perhaps worth considering in the Kruger area is the Savanna Private Game Reserve (www.savannalodge.com) at Sabi Sands. It is roughly the same price as Garonga with a bit less luxurious accommodations, but even better food and superb game viewing (usually all of Big 5 in the first two hours). Another plus at Savanna is Paddy Hagelthorn, the proprietor, who is a real bush character, a treat to chat with.

Cheers,
T.

Search this Thread