Makoa-Farm Visit - Tanzania

Jun 28th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Makoa-Farm Visit - Tanzania

During my stay at Ndarakwai Ranch at west Kilimanjaro, I met Elizabeth and her husband from Makoa-Farm. They were attending a wildlife course nearby and I really enjoyed talking to the two of them!

While I am not much of a rider, I love horses so I visited Makoa-Farm at the end of my Tanzania trip.

The farm is located between two rivers on the slopes of Kilimanjaro not far from the town of Machame. There are no signboards to the farm (by design for privacy) so it took us a while to find it! It is about 40min from Kili airport.

We arrived just in time for brunch on the veranda of the main building. Elizabeth took me on a "tour" of the farm and it was very delightful.

It is a working farm with plenty of animals roaming around and even a vet/clinic where they can recover after treatment! The owners love animals and the animals love them!

The terrain is hilly with lots of trees and clearings. The scenery is breathtaking - just the place to unwind after a long flight or dusty safari. But the big thing here are horses! Riders explore the far corners of the large farm while they get used to the horses and get comfortable with the rigors of bush riding.

Once everyone is comfortable, the horses and guests are transported to the West Kili area (on or near Ndarakwai Ranch) where the safari starts. The exact routes depend on many factors and a horse safari can be as short as a few days or much longer - but always exciting thanks to plenty of wildlife in this area including elephant.

At the farm itself, they have 3 accommodation options - a room in the main house, one of two cottages about 50m away or a larger guesthouse about 25m from the main house.

The cottages are delightful with splendid, uninterrupted views of the higher slopes of Kilimanjaro. These are permanent tents with nice verandas but they look new, large & very comfortable - these are the best choices unless you have a large family; then the guesthouse will be better!

www.makoa-farm.com - it has beautiful scenery that is very welcoming even if you are not a horse-rider. Elizabeth and Laszlo are both very entertaining and this is a good option if you are looking for B&B-style accommodation in the Machame area with friendly innkeepers, secluded surroundings, wonderful views and plenty of farm animals!

Jun 28th, 2005, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the update! We're getting down to finalizing the details of our trip. We're planning 3 days/2 nights on safari and staying 1 night on each end at the farm. Really looking forward to this as an ending to our 19 day Kenya/Tanzania trip!
Jun 29th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi Patty

Elizabeth told me that you are booked in one of the tented cottages!

These are both very private and located in the vegetable gardens between the lush trees beside irragation streams. Very peaceful.

I took many pictures and are busy uploading it...

Search this Thread