Makanyane - sleep at the hide?

Jun 1st, 2005, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Makanyane - sleep at the hide?

Has anyone stayed at the Makanyane in Madikwe and spent a night on one of their ourdoor, raised hides? We're going in Sept and plan to do this, but wanted to see if anyone who has been has had this experience. thanks, Julie
Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:12 AM

Julie

We stayed there in February, we had coffee there one morning but did not sleep there. The rooms are so nice that we preferred them, then we had the window open so that the Lions could keep us awake all night. Vanessa showed us the set up and it looked very cool.
Nov 26th, 2005, 04:43 AM

Julie
Did you get the chance to sleep in the hide? The photos of it look really good. We would be grateful for any other comments you have on the lodge. We like the idea of having a river view from the suite, do you get to see many animals in it. We particularly like watching hippos!! We are thinking of staying there or Etali next October, itís a tough choice.
Nov 26th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Jeremy

We had room 4 which gave great river views, there were no Hippo right outside our room, they were closer to camp. We did see Antelope drinking every afternoon and lots of birds. It is a beautiful relaxing spot.
Nov 30th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Yes! Just returned 2 weeks ago. The hide was MAGICAL!!! We were at Makanyane for 3 nights (a perfect amount of time) and slept out the 2nd night. If you want, I can send you pictures. Can't figure out how to post publically. The weather could not have been better; 60F, almost full moon. We woke up at 4am to what was I thought was a lion's roar, but turned out to be a herd of 15-20 elephants passing within 30-50 feet of us, making alot of noise!! By this point, the moon had set and there were thousands of stars. Makanyane was the most amazing part of any vacation I've had in my whole life. From our room, we saw a crocodile and some monkeys. From just outside the room, we could see various antelope, zebras in the distance. Our first night there, we were about to be picked up for dinner and heard a lion roar that sounded like it was just outside our room! Turns out it was on the other side of the river, but it got our hearts pounding!! I can't recommend this place enough. I felt like I was dreaming!!!
Dec 9th, 2005, 12:27 AM

Julie
Thanks for the feed back it sounds fantastic. Itís been really difficult to decide whether to go to Etali or Makanyane & your comments are certainly moving us towards Mak.
Thanks for offering the photos it would be great to see them, can you email them to me at [email protected]. As we are planning to go in early October next year it will be a little cooler than when you were there, but the worst thing is that we've got to wait for another 10 months!!!
Thanks
Jeremy
Dec 22nd, 2005, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Jeremy - so sorry its taken me so long; they're being sent to you right now! Enjoy! Julie
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Julie
Thanks for the photos Makanyane looks great. We've been reading JSCChan's honeymoon trip report including Etali and still can't make our mind up!!!
Jeremy

Search this Thread