Mahale Mountains - Tanzania

May 17th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Mahale Mountains - Tanzania

Looking for thoughts on whether the Mahale Mountains are worth the time and expense as a 3 day add-on to a Tanzania safari. If you've been there, any thoughts you could pass along are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
May 17th, 2004, 12:51 PM
sandi

Well if you're doing the Northern Circuit, the flight time from Arusha is about 4+hrs in a small Chartered plane and expensive (between $400-$600 r/t) and flying is the only way to get there - no roads. The only camp I'm aware of is Greystoke (formerly Zoe's camp), also rather expensive ($400+/nt). But the camp is located on the shores of Lake Tanganyika, and you have the opportunity to have "breakfast/lunch with the chimps" many of which are habituated to humans. But this entails trekking thru the mountains - maybe up to 3-hrs.

What time of the year are you planning this? May/Oct, the dry season is the best time to be there, though Oct/Nov (light rains) is also okay; Mid-Dec/February is also dry. I would not suggest the wet season between March/May.

Would I do it? In a NY Minute.

Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:23 AM

Does anyone have an updated price for the flight from Arusha to Mahale?
Feb 24th, 2006, 04:20 AM

ttt
Feb 24th, 2006, 04:42 AM

A shared charter departing Mon & Thu between Arusha and Mahale/Katavi is $795 rtn but can be discounted a tiny bit depending on your outfitter.

This is from Mid-May 2006 to Greystoke and Chada. (movements to these camps will be restricted to 3 nights or 4 nights stays)
Feb 24th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Thanks climbhighsleeplow
That was about what I was guesstimating.

Search this Thread