Madrid to Casablanca

Aug 13th, 1997, 02:51 PM
Sue

Madrid to Casablanca

In April my sister and I are flying to Madrid. We are picking up a tour in Casablanca. What would be the best mode of transportation, bus, train or car? Also how long? Thanks for your help.

Aug 14th, 1997, 02:38 AM
A. Falco

I live in Catalonia, next to Spain and i visited recently Morocco. At first, I would tell you that Casablanca itīs an ugly city. If you want to visit a great city, go to Fez(the medina itīs exciting). You can go to casablanca by train or by plane. By train you should take a train to Algeciras(5-6 hours) from Madrid, after to take a ferry to Tanger(1-2 h.) and finally to take another train to Casablanca.This is the more interesting way to go to Morocco because you will see the difference between two differents kinds of life, the european and the musulman only in two hours of ferry trip.
By plane is the fastest one, i think that there is a Royal Air Maroc flight once a day and it will cost you around 35.000 pesetas(%3D280 US$), Iberia also flight to Casablanca, but itīs more expensive than RAM.

Aug 14th, 1997, 08:29 PM
Sharon

Casablanca was probably the least interesting city I visited in Morocco. Marrekesh with its redish walls and fascinating open square (with snake charmers etc) and Fez offer much more to the visitor. Of course, most of us have a very romantic view of Casablanca because of Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman.

Sep 5th, 1997, 10:18 AM
Gary Sammonds

I lived in Morocco for two years, Peace Corps assignment in Al Hoceima. I tend to agree with the others about Casablanca, big city with very little charm. Fez is a great option and travel along the Northern coast is beautiful. For the south I would go to Marrakech to get a feel for the desert region. The west coast is also very pretty with several small port towns. Most cities in Morocco can be reached by either train or bus. The train service is great and travels to all major cities. Bus service is okay depending on the size of the town your traveling to. You can also go from city to city by "Grand" taxis and share the fare with a group of people.

Search this Thread