Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Madikwe River Lodge, Honeyguide, Khoka Moya, Umlani, Exeter's Leadwood Lodge In South Africa?

Madikwe River Lodge, Honeyguide, Khoka Moya, Umlani, Exeter's Leadwood Lodge In South Africa?

Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Madikwe River Lodge, Honeyguide, Khoka Moya, Umlani, Exeter's Leadwood Lodge In South Africa?

In a previous post I enquired about non-malarial game resorts that can be driven to from Johannesburg. I am considering Madike River Lodge. I am now also looking into game reserve resorts that are malarial near Kruger park. Which of the above would be the best choice? We want to keep the costs down, have 2 young teens with us, and prefer a place where one can view animals right at the lodge. Would it be a shame to travel all the way to S. Africa and only stay a few days at Madike and not nearer to Kruger park? We have a few days before we join a tour from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town and have to choose only one of the above resorts. Thanks!
Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:09 AM

Juliejj:

'' We want to keep the costs down''

Exeter's Leadwood is very expensive ranging from R4200-5200pp/night.
The four newly constructed Leadwood Lodge Suites, epitomizes, ultra luxury with distinctive en-suite bathrooms that provide all the comforts and pampering that you may desire.

''Would it be a shame to travel all the way to S. Africa and only stay a few days at Madike and not nearer to Kruger park''

Not necessarily,Madikwe is a good game reserve,although I prefer Kruger.

I really don't like Manyeleti,been to Khoka Moya twice and didn't have great sightings.Really liked the accommodations at Honeyguide!,game viewing average.

Umlani is a nice bushcamp in the Timbavati,good game reserve,good value for money.

Here is my rating of game reserves in RSA:

1]Kruger/Sabi Sands
2]Timbavati
3]Madikwe[number one for wild dogs]
4]Manyeleti
Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:17 PM
sandi

You don't mention time of year, but we stayed at Honeyguide which is relatively inexpensive for a tented camp - not luxurious, but great guides, staff and the best linens and down comforters. Understand they recently refurbished, so these changes probably enhance the place. Enhance in the sense, that from Honeyguide we went to Singita - which is like nite n day. But we wanted to (rather had to) sleep under canvas - Africa isn't Africa unless you sleep under canvas. Out animal sightings were excellent - but there is never any guarantee with animals - sometimes you do, other times you don't.

And if you don't want to take game-drives, why bother? Just to sit at the camp and hope animals want to invade your space - not likely during daylight hours, but sometimes if there is a waterhole right there, the animals will come.

Can't comment on the other camps/lodges.

Search this Thread