Madikwe

Dec 7th, 2005, 07:37 AM
africa_lover

Madikwe

If I wanted to visit Madikwe , would I be disappointed?

I've visited SSGR a few times, Timbavati, Manyeleti, Phinda, Okavango, Namibia, Tanzania and Kenya.

What's the difference with Madikwe? Why would one tell me I'd be disappointed with Madikwe after visiting all those other places???

Dec 7th, 2005, 08:30 AM

I have lots of experience in SSGR and Botswana, and earlier this year we went to Madikwe.

I think if you research thoroughly and have the right expectations then you wont be disappointed, but it is not the same experience as SSGR, let alone Botswana.

At night you do see lights at the edge of the park, which may or may not be a problem to you. The rules on off raoding are very strict, which can mean long distance sightings. There are (or were in Feb 05) several dead spots, we went 10-20 minutes on almost every drive over 4 days without seeing a mammal. They do need more roads, but those will be some time coming.

There are some species which were new to us, Springbok, Hartebeest. We didn't see Black Rhino, though our guides usually had very good luck with them. We did see Wild Dogs, but only on our last morning. If you like Waterbuck, this is the spot for you.

Birding was good, with quite a few species that I haven't seen in SSGR.

Search this Thread