Macatoo Gear

Mar 7th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Macatoo Gear

I leave for my first Botswana safari in June. Have Stanleys, Macatoo, Duba Plains, Lebala and Savuti on the schedule then on to Tongabezi and Sindabezi for a few days. Since the weight limit is strict - I was wondering if anyone out there has been to Macatoo and done the horseback riding. I would like to ride but cannot pack horse riding gear (like mud boots and a hard hat) to the exclusion of other clothing. Any suggestions on what I can bring that will be horseback and safari camp friendly at the same time?

Hey Julian - get ready - only three months - can't wait to meet up at Lebala!

Thanks in advance everyone - Cooncat - you getting ready girl?

Canechick
Mar 7th, 2006, 07:50 AM

Hi,

The Bradt guide indicates that Macatoo advises wearing your riding clothes on the plane just in case. You can always wear the boots and hat onto the plane and change into another set of clothes once you've boarded.

I've found that enforcement of the weight limit is a bit eccentric -- I've never seen anyone's luggage get weighed, or had my luggage weighed. Volume can be a bigger concern in some ways, given the size of the luggage compartments on the planes. Unless your plane is full, I wouldn't worry too much about going 1-2 kg over the limit. My stuff was under the limit, and based on the reactions of the pilots that's actually pretty rare -- they kept asking me if I had another bag.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Cheers,
Julian
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Hey guys!
Not sure what possessed me to click on this post, but glad I did. good luck cwith all the packing planning. I'm in the same boat. My photo backpack weighs a ton. Don't those camps have hard hats for you to wear, for Pete's sake? Honestly with all the weight restrictions I would think the camps would take care of some of this stuff. Also, I'd think you could ride in jeans, yes?

Later~ Cooncat

Search this Thread