Maasai Mara - Kichwa Tembo or Mara Serena Lodge?

Aug 19th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Maasai Mara - Kichwa Tembo or Mara Serena Lodge?

I am planning my next summer vacations in Africa, doing a safari in Kenya and spending some days in Zanzibar.
I thought and was recommended by an operator to stay at Mara Serena Lodge first but after seing that Kichwa Tembo was rated second best hotel in Travel and Leisure awards I am now divided on where to stay.
I saw there are 2 Kichwa Tembo Camps, one is much more expensive than the other. I would stay in the Kichwa Tembo Camp , not the Bateleur.
Is it better than the Mara Serena Lodge? At the website there are not many photos and it doesn't seem so appealing as the Mara Serena.
Should I stay 1 night at Kichwa Tembo and the other 2 at Mara Serena Lodge?
Please I need Africa experts to help me
Thanks

Teresa
Aug 20th, 2004, 04:27 AM
sandi

Kichwa Tembo (Main camp) is a rather large camp - 40 tents; no intimacy there. Serena is a lodge and probably has more rooms then the number of tents at KT. Both properties aren't far from one another, so if you want a tent experience, it might be a good idea of split the time at the Mara between the two. But also consider that there might be a difference in price between the two.

As to KT being listed #2 on the TL Survey, there is a post on this board that talks to how certain properties make this list and others don't. So I wouldn't take the KT rating too seriously.

Aug 20th, 2004, 05:22 AM

We stayed at the Mara Serena Lodge on our first safari in August 1999, and yes, its the largest lodge we have ever stayed at (70 rooms or so), so it doesn't have a feeling of intimacy, but it has the best location in the Mara, and provided the best game viewing I have ever seen on safari (and I have now been on 5 safaris to most of the major parks in East and South Africa). The Serena cannot be beat for the price.

Ignore T&L awards. Pick up the Bradt Guide to Kenya which gives great descriptions of all the lodges in the Mara.

Aug 20th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

thank you both for your help.In fact, after seing the few pics of the Kichwa Tembo camp, it looked nothing special, the Serena Mara looks much better. To stay a night at the Kichwa Tembo would cost me more some 32 US$ per person than at the Serena Mara and I don't think it's worth it.
Your answers helped to decide to stay only at the Serena , no need to change from one place to another, it will be very tiring also.
Thank you both again

Teresa

Search this Thread