Search

Swimming on the Nile?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Steve

Swimming on the Nile?

Hello, <BR> <BR> My girlfriend and I thinking of traveling to Egypt for vacation. We want to see the pyramids but we also want to be close to the beach. Can anyone tell me if there are any public beaches on the Nile or recommend a good place to stay in between?

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 09:42 AM
JUSTRETURNED

Don't know that anyone swims in the Nile (at least I didn't see a soul doing it). If you want a beach, try Sharm el Sheik on Red Sea or other on Med.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 03:32 PM
egon

...there is no swimming for a good reason: the nile is infested with BILLHARZOSE worms [that's the name in german], they dig in your skin [they are very very small, you are not even aware of that] and evetually lead to blindness... at least that was the state 15 years ago when we toured egypt, we were even advised not to touch wet ropes on the ships... <BR> <BR>have fun..., e

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 03:32 PM
heroscoe

Do not swim in the Nile-typhoid, diarrhea and hepatitis is a problem. No one swims in the Nile.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 08:19 PM
rudy

While on a felucca, we were advised to "not dip even so much as a fingertip in the water!" Enough said.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Scott

Not only does the microscopic worm destroy the eyes, it attacks and destroys the liver. <BR> <BR>The biggest killer in Egypt is scirroscis of the Liver (remember, no drinking it's a muslim country) caused by worms.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 08:11 AM
LEANN

DO NOT SWIM IN THE NILE. The most beautiful snorkeling and swimming can be done at Sharm al-Sheik on the Red Sea. The Red Sea has the most beautiful underwater scenery imaginable. Don't risk your health. Sail on it, cruise on it, take pictures of it, but don't swim in it or drink it.I live in the Saudi Arabia and it is common knowledge here that the Red Sea is the best for diving, swimming and snorkeling. Have a fun trip and stay safe.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Leann

I also forgot to mention this. Egypt is a predominately Islamic country. Save your swimming for the hotel or a resort area like Sharm al-Sheik. Muslims frown on women exposing too much skin and you don't want to draw negative attention that might dampen your stay.