Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Maadi Hotel while looking for an apt. (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/maadi-hotel-while-looking-for-an-apt-580627/)

sunshine007 Jan 10th, 2006 11:42 PM

Maadi Hotel while looking for an apt.

I need a hotel for a couple weeks in Maadi while I'm looking for a place to live. 3 or 4 star. Does anyone know what the Cairotel Hotel, the Maadi Hotel or the Residence Hotel are like? Or have you any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Grcxx3 Jan 11th, 2006 07:59 AM

It depends on where in Maadi you plan on living. There are 2 main hotels in Maadi that I would recommend - the Sofitel and the Residence Inn. I don't know about the Cairotel, and I have heard of the Maadi Hotel, but I don't know anything about it.

The Sofitel is on the Corniche - the road that runs along the Nile. It is bigger, has a couple of restaurants and shops, and is more "hotel-like." If you are looking to live near the Nile, this would be a good place to stay.

If you are looking to live in the area of Maadi near Digla (across the train tracks from the river, closer to the American School), then I would advise the Residence Inn. I had my husband's family stay there a few years ago. They got 3 bedrooms, kitchenette (small but functional), dining and living area for about $110 a night. Now, that was a few years ago. There was a coffee shop and an italian restaurant next door. I think there is a hamburger/sandwich place nearby too. It is also easy walking to many of the shops and markets that the Maadi residents use, so it will give you a good idea of life in the area.

Maadi is great - we were there 4 years. Enjoy!

thistle Jan 14th, 2006 03:21 AM

Hi,
Check out Nileview Bed and Breakfast, www.nileview.com on the corniche on the outskirts of Maadi, can provide help with flat hunting too! Good luck!

iancorker Jan 29th, 2006 01:11 AM

Residence is a bit dated, but you get a suite, which can sleep 6 for $120 per night. There are 3 restaurants, cafes below and its within walking distance of road 9 and Digla shopping areas.

Sofitel is in a good location, although there is the main road straight under the hotel. It has a pool, which would be good in spring or summer. Its a fairly normal hotel otherwise.

If you intend to live in Maadi I would go for the Residence, as its more central to the residential areas and you will get a feel for what is available.

Let me know if you need more info.

sunshine007 Jan 29th, 2006 09:07 AM

Thank you you so much for the information. I'm emailing from the Sofitel Maadi Business Center. Tried to reserve a room at the Residence Inn, but couldn't get a good email address for them. Calling is difficult because I was in Seattle which is 10 hours earlier than Cairo.

I found a pretty good rate on the internet at the sofitel, so decided to stay here. In fact, it was better than the rates I've seen for the Residence Inn. I'm only one person so a hotel room is fine.

Read about the Nileview too late as my hotel room is non-refundable.

Now the big adventure -- looking for a place to live.