Luxury in Sabi at more reasonable cost

Oct 24th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Luxury in Sabi at more reasonable cost

I would like to sample the delights of a private lodge in the Sabi Sands Reserve - they are all expensive by my reckoning, some less so. Can anyone reccommend any. I've heard Chitwa Chitwa is slightly cheaper. I wouldn't want to compromise on the game viewing which is my main priority
but this is probably a one off so I might as well spend up to my limit. Do you miss anything by sticking the the private reserve and not 'doing Kruger'? Am planning on going in March 2006. All suggestions welcomed.
Oct 24th, 2005, 07:25 AM

You'll find lots of commentary on this board about the various areas in Sabi Sands and their advantages / disadvantages vis a vis each other. If you try searching on Sabi Sands you'll find it....

I'd suggest that you consider both Chitwa Chitwa (Game Lodge and Safari Lodge) and Elephant Plains. They are both in the same area as Simbambili and share similar traversing area with Simbambili. There was a recent trip report on Elephant Plains that you might search for - as well as Roccco's trip report on Simbambili.

I've stayed at Chitwa Game Lodge and had a great time with great game viewing (big 5 and more).

I don't know your time frame, but you might consider spending a couple of nights in Kruger self-driving and a couple of nights in Sabi Sands. That would both keep the money spent down and give you a combination of experiences.
Oct 24th, 2005, 08:47 AM

Hello,

I'm not sure what your budget is, but you may want to look into Notten's Camp (www.nottens.com) which is a small, moderately priced camp neighbouring MalaMala and Londolozi.

Cheers,
Julian
Oct 24th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Hello again,

Not sure if your schedule will accommodate it, but another option is travelling in the South African winter (June-August) which is the low season in South Africa -- you'll get some great deals, and the game-viewing will be at its best as well.

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread