Luxor - Is it safe?

Jun 5th, 2000, 12:55 PM
elizabeth

Luxor - Is it safe?

We are travelling to Egypt in July with our 9 year old son. We will be on a tour which flies to Luxor as well. Is Luxor safe for tourists? The Canadian foreign affairs site says we can go as long as we fly and don't drive ( we're Canadian). The U.S. site advises tourists to avoid the area.

Jun 6th, 2000, 05:32 AM
Rudy

Hi Elizabeth:

We were in Egypt from May 14 to May 26. 4 days in Cairo; the rest of the time on a cruise. However, we were in Luxor 2 days, going and coming back, on the cruise. I felt totally safe the whole time. When in the tourist places, you are never farther than 30 yards from an armed tourist policeman or soldier, frequently several of them. Tourism is Egypt's major industry, and the government spends a ton of money protecting tourists. It's amazing how many armed "protectors" are around. Egyptians,as a people, are non-violent. You are safer in Cairo or Luxor than you would be in New York or Chicago. The only time I felt unsafe in Egypt was when I was trying to cross the streets in Cairo.

Jun 9th, 2000, 03:11 AM
Tom

I just returned and share Rudy's feelings. There were not a lot of children around us travelling but the Eqyptians seemed to be very kind to those who were. Driving through the area of Luxor where the tourists had been shot contains roadblocks, and miltary that I have seen. The sight of various forms of rifles, rapid fire arms etc can be a bit overwhelming at first, but you quickly find that it is for your benefit and you will be glad they are there.
Under no circumstances do I recommend driving there. Try not to do things independantly unless it is going to a museum. There are a number of package tours there that can save you time hassles and will give you a much safer feeling.

Search this Thread