Luxor Hotels?

Feb 15th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Luxor Hotels?

Hi everyone!

This is my first post, but I've been reading the boards for a while now planning my safari to SA and Botswana (May 2007).

Now that you've all helped me so much with that trip...I've moved onto planning my 2008 trip to Egypt! Currently I'm trying to select a hotel in Luxor. I'm already considering Al Moudira and the Old Winter Palace, but would love any other suggestions and/or feedback on those hotels. We're looking for really nice accommodations...price is not really an issue. (But good value for price is...)

Thanks!!
Feb 15th, 2007, 02:06 PM

We stayed at the Winter Palace several years ago and loved it-the rooms were very large and atomspheric and the pool was gorgeous and badly needed after hours of sightseeing in the extreme heat of June! It doesn't have incredible service or food but I loved the history of the hotel and the character. Al Moudira looks wonderful too.
Feb 15th, 2007, 02:21 PM

I recently stayed at the Le Meridien Luxor. It is fairly new. The facilities and the food were excellent. And the location directly on the river is nice. I walked over to the Winter Palace for breakfast one morning and was glad I didn't stay there. The hotel interior was dreary and the breakfast was awful!
Feb 16th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Hello,

Definitely go with the Al Moudira -- an absolutely lovely place.

http://www.moudira.com/v_2/

It's much better value for money than the standard tourist hotels, and because it's located on the West Bank it's ideal for getting to the monuments early in the morning before it gets too hot and too crowded.

Cheers,
Julian
Feb 16th, 2007, 09:50 PM

If possible, can you stay for a little while at each? Each is going to be nice in it's unique way.
Al Moudira is going to be nice for the reasons Julian said, and from what I've seen of it, it is beautiful. The rooms are fantastic!
But, the Winter Palace has the history to go along with it and the spectacular pool and garden area. But, I have to agree with Mr.Aviator about the dreary factor. However, the location can't be beat for the city. You are next door to Luxor Temple and the new souk behind it. You are across the street from the river and the new-ish promenade down on the waterfront with all the stores and a brand new 2 lane bowling alley even, among nice sidewalk cafe restaurants and shops. I prefer the buzz of the city even if the noise of the touts makes me want to shoot them all.

If you will be in Luxor long enough to take time for them both, I think you'd find each has something to offer you.

casualcairodetours
Feb 17th, 2007, 02:13 PM

I seem to recall being unimpressed with the food at the Winter Palace, too.
Feb 18th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies! I had been leaning towards Al Moudira, but got nervous after reading a few reviews on Trip Advisor. I think both of these hotels have positives and negatives.

casualcairodetours--I'd love to stay at both, but I think we'll only be there for 2-3 nights, so a change of hotels might be a bit much. Otherwise, I'd definitely try both. We're doing that in Cairo, staying at both the Four Seasons and the Mena House.

I'd love to hear any more comments, particularily about any other hotels in the area. I did check out the Le Meridien (its since changed ownership). It looks like another option to consider.

Julian--I've read that if you stay at Al Moudira you are pretty much stuck there for dinner, as its far from the city center and restaurants. Did you find this to be true? How was the food? I've read mixed reviews.

Thanks again!
Molly
Feb 18th, 2007, 07:22 PM

The answer to NOT eating dinner there is to go to the East Bank and make a full day of it until after dinner. You are by all means a long way from everything if you stay at the Moudira. It's not like you can walk away from there and find anything very soon to do or a place to eat. There were some taxis sitting outside waiting for the guests to come out though so you'd have transport all the time if you felt like going else where for food.

Let me say that in my opinion, Luxor is NOT known for it's marvelous food though so don't hope for a marvelous meal in Luxor... except if you like Indian food, there is a pretty good, fairly new Indian restaurant down toward the Sheraton, past the Meridian on the other side of the road...not far from Gems...if any one cares.
Feb 19th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Hello,

You do need to hire a taxi if you want to go into town for dinner, but after having eaten dinner at various places in Luxor (we did a few all-day visits to the East Bank as Debbie describes) we found that the food at Al Moudira was by far the best anyhow, so we didn't mind.

Cheers,
Julian