Desperate for help: Swazi-yes or no?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got 10 nights in South Africa for our first trip late December. I've read three different books and talked to a lot of people and still desperately need help on one portion of the trip.

We spend the first 5 nights in Capetown, then have 2 nights free before we need to be at Thornybush near Nelspruit for our 2 night safari, followed by one night and one day in Jo'burg before flying out.

My question is what to do with those two nights. We had been keen to go to Swaziland--it seems we could fly into Manzini from CPT and spend the nights there, but then we'd have to either hire a car in Swazi and drop off later in Jo'burg (costly??) or get a transfer to just across the border and then hire the car for the 5-7 hour drive to Thornybush.

The other option would be to fly from CPT to Jo'burg and slowly drive to Thornybush, stopping near Blyde's River, etc. to kayak, but two nights seems a bit excessive.

While we'd love to see Swazi for the cultural interest, etc. I'm looking to find out from others if it's worth all the extra logistical work, etc as my travel agent is advising against it, but not sure if that's because he stands to gain nothing from it or not.

Many thanks in advance.

Amy
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 11:40 AM

I have been to Swaziland, but on a longer trip, and the primary reason was to track rhino on foot in Mkhaya game reserve (a nice reserve, but not nearly as large or as diverse as Kruger).

We didn't do any of the cultural things in the Valley.

We hired private taxi while there.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:32 AM

Hello,

If I were you, I'd pass on Swaziland and add another 2 days to your safari -- two days is really not enough to experience the African bush.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 07:57 AM

I love Swaziland, but I agree with Julian that two nights is too short to experience the bush. If I were you, I would add at least one of those nights to the safari.

Have a wonderful time!

Celia
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Fly to JNB, hire a car and take a slow drive around the Blyde, Gods window, Pilgrims rest etc.

some interesting countryside and charming towns, great vistas and so on.

Before you go, grab "jock of the bushveld" from the library and then relive that piece of history on your journey.