Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Luggage Storage Jo'Burg (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/luggage-storage-joburg-347118/)

Jann Aug 12th, 2003 04:19 AM

Luggage Storage Jo'Burg

Has anyone used the luggage storage in the Jo'burg airport? It's suppose to be downstairs. We'd like to store some bags while on safari in Botswana. Any info would be great.

sandi Aug 12th, 2003 05:35 AM

Jann -

We thought to use the Luggage Storage at JNB, but when we got there and saw the doors open and nobody at the entrance, we decided it wasn't secure. It's very possible the attendent was in the rear or had taken a break, but the door was wide open for anyone to enter.
If I recall though, the price for storage wasn't a lot of Rand/per day - but the unsecured area put us off.

Instead, and since we were doing an overnight in Rosebank (JNB) we asked our tour operator if they would hold our major bags for the 4-days we'd be at Kruger which they did and met us at JNB Domestic Terminal when we returned. From there we headed to the Intl Terminal and our flight home. However, since we weren't flying small charter planes in/out of Kruger, we actually could have taken our larger bags.

I assume you're going to the Delta area in Botswana - if so, I believe there is storage at Maun where you can store your larger bags, but this is good only if returning to Maun.

If you're going to Chobe (Botswans) via Vic Falls, you can take larger bags as you'll be flying in 737s and transfered by road.

If you're working thru a tour operator in Africa they should be able to advise what storage options are available.

owl Aug 12th, 2003 11:28 AM

Definitely store your bags at the Intercontinental hotel at the aiport. It's a very nice hotel with secure luggage. You don't really have to be a guest to leave your luggage there, as the bell person likes to make tips. The hotel is a very short walk (and you can use your luggage cart the entire way). In fact, the hotel used to be part of the airport (the control tower or something). In any case, this is much better than the left luggage or Rosebank.

Dottie Aug 12th, 2003 02:44 PM

To Owl,
I to am needing to store luggage at the airport.The idea of storing it at the Intercontinental hotel is interesting. Would I talk to the people at the check in desk about this or just to the Bell person ? As we won't be staying there.Have you done this yourself?
Thanks a lot

owl Aug 14th, 2003 09:21 PM

Dottie,

Yes, we just did it a couple weeks ago. The bell person will greet you before you've even made it into the door. Just don't mention whether or not you're staying there and just tell him you're coming back to retrieve it on a certain date. Be sure to tip well both when you leave the luggage and when you return. Enjoy!

Jann Aug 15th, 2003 04:21 AM

Thank you for the hints on storing the luggage. Sandi, doen't sound as if the storage area at the Jo'burg airport is very secure.

KT_Tomlinson Aug 15th, 2003 05:37 AM

To Owl. I also thank you for that tip about the left luggage. We'll be leaving one of our bags at the airport while we're on safari in mid-September and the Intercontinental sounds like a much better way to go. We want to make sure we tip well for this -- any clues on what would be considered a good tip by the bell person?
Thanks,
KT

Dottie Aug 17th, 2003 01:25 PM

Just topping this. Hope Owl will see it. I to would love to know what would be a good tip to give the Bellmen, for this? We are leaving in a couple of weeks,and this info is,so very helpful.

owl Aug 18th, 2003 09:32 AM

Hello! Here's the advice I was given: 10 when you leave the luggage and 10 when you pick it up. Now, that's really for one person and if you've got a lot of luggage you may want to give more. I never feel bad "spreading the wealth" around a little when outside the US. These people live on very little money and rely on tips.

Glad I was able to help!

KT_Tomlinson Aug 18th, 2003 12:47 PM

To Owl,
Thank you for the tipping advice. It always helps to get a ballpark idea!

babbo Aug 27th, 2003 06:40 PM

We just returned from a safari trip and prior to the departure for the lodge put our baggage in storage at the Jo'burg airport for four days. (The storage area is located on the lower level, off of the parking area.) While the attendants were not particularly friendly, we did not encounter any problems and found our bags intact upon our return. (One of the bags even contained several bottles of wine.) We did find however the storage rates on the high side: approximately $50 for 3 bags for 4 days. Looking back, it would have probably made more sense to leave them with the Holiday Inn hotel at the airport instead.

Novsafari Aug 29th, 2003 09:22 AM

This has been an informative thread, thank you! has anyone stayed at the holiday inn at the airport? Does it seem safe to leave our luggage their while we go on safari? Thanks!