Luggage for Air Kenya

Jul 30th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Luggage for Air Kenya

We are flying Air Kenya from Nairobi to Masai Mara. I know we have a weight restriction but I'm wondering if we need to have duffel bags or if our standard rolling carry-on bags will work? I'd hate to get there and find out we can't take our luggage. Any help would be great.
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:38 PM

Andyev:

I have flown three times from Wilson to Amboseli on Air Kenya and have used regular rolling suitcases on each flight. They will check the weight of your luggage. I have been overweight on each trip and offered to pay any discrepancy but they let it go through. Perhaps since they have tightened security since I got back in February things will be a little more stringent. However, I would presume Wilson to Mara would be run approximately the same way as to Amboseli. It will also depend on how many passengers are flying and how much freight they will be carrying. I would not worry about it very much. Just try to keep the weight of your luggage down if possible. When you get back post a trip report please and let me know if there are any changes in Air Kenya so I know what to expect in September.

Have a marvelous trip.

Jan
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:50 PM
sandi

When we flew from Amboseli to Wilson in NBO, we were in a 4-seater (with Cynthia Moss, no less) without luggage as our driver took our bags back to NBO by road.

Flying from the Mara we were in a 19-seater and we had all our luggage with us and they took it all which must have been overweight by today's standards (it was the end of our trip) and security precautions - but then most of the other passengers only had carryons or small rollaboards.

You might want to check with Air Kenya for their limits, type of equipment (no. pass) and any security precautions.

Jul 30th, 2003, 07:36 PM

When we flew from Nairobi to the Mara, we saw a blend of duffle-bag type luggage and small, rolling suitcases. The plane was much larger than we expected, 45 passengers. While no one said anything on that flight, the next one from Arusha to Dar to Selous, I noticed all the bags were duffle type and it was a much smaller plane - 10 seats. Sandi is right, you might want to check with Air Kenya. For what it is worth, we bought some inexpensive - cheap really - duffle type bags that actually expanded if you need more space. They worked out beautifully. We didn't care if they got dusty and we didn't care if they fell apart as soon as we got home. Food for thought. Indeed, make sure you write a trip report. I envy your going ... ah, the magnificent Mara!

Search this Thread