Search

Update on 60 minutes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on 60 minutes

Have just received word from U.S. Friends of Sheldrick Trust regarding Sunday's 60 Minutes program.

"We hope this is final, but this Sunday, April 9, 60 Minutes will air their segment
on the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. The Early Show on Friday morning and the CBS
evening news will air smaller segments which will speak about aspects of the
Trust which do not focus entirely on the orphans. Sunday's show will speak
about the orphanage and Daphne Sheldrick as the "headmistress". The Trust might also be addressed in Sunday morning's news show. Also, I think Steve Smith's interview with the local CBS anchor will air Friday evening in Indianapolis. Let's hope the 60 Minutes segment is not pulled this time".

Sheldrick Trust does so much for rhino and elephant orphans as well as African wildlife in general that it deserves all our support and admiration.

Jan

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:33 AM
sandi

Thanks Jan.
Set the VCR, again!

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Tuned in last week and no Sheldrick. Thanks again for the alert for April 9.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

It's definite for Sunday night. I just saw a trailer of sorts on CBS news. Apparently the news staff was so taken by what they learned that the segment on Sheldrick Trust will be a little longer than usual.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 04:52 AM
sandi

I believe I also heard (TV is always on in the background) that they're running portions of the 60-Minute segment on the Sunday Morning show.

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 05:44 AM

hi jan, sorry i havent got in touch with you since i've been back. any ways, right now i am burning to dvd about a 1hr of sheldicks. if you would like a copy let me know. i will mail it to you.
d
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Just watched the special. Having not been to the orphanage yet, I thought it was well done and a very touching segment. Hopefully the broadcast will generate lots of donations.
My eyes welled up when Dame Daphne was expressing her sadness of baby eles who don't make it. It was quite moving. :'(
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Yes, very good story. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

divewop:

I too felt it was well done - just not as long and detailed as I would have loved to see it.

It is not only Dame Daphne who gets emotional when one of the babies dies. Before I went to Kenya the end of January I had been daily following Ndololo's progress. The day before I left I checked and he was doing well and the eye sight was slowly returning. At the end of my week at Amboseli I was fortunate enough to go out on an attempted rescue of another orphan. When the Sheldrick team arrived I asked Edwin how Ndololo was doing, and tears immediately came to his eyes. It was then another keeper told me that Ndololo had unexpectedly died several days before.

Though the men give so much of themselves to raising the orphans, the orphans in turn give so much back to the people they love. Many of these men come from communites that hate elephants. When the men talk to their communites of these orphaned babies they start seeing eles. in a different light. These baby animals are so very perceptive. When a new baby comes into the orphanage it is the older babies that "tame" the newcomer by reassurance that all is well with the world and that they will be alright.

I would love to see a television or movie company make a special with Daphne Sheldrick with films from one of her old friends wildlife photo-
grapher) Simon Trevor. Both have lived in Tsavo National Park for over 50 years and Simon has films of what Tsavo used to be like when there were 200,000 elephants in Tsavo. He has also documented Daphne's earliest attempts at rescuing all types of animals. Between them they have over 100 years worth of experience in dealing with wildlife of all kinds. What a fantastic program that could be.

Glad you enjoyed the program.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Thank you Jan. I caught the show jsut in time. Incredible work they do. I laughed and cried. Is it possible to visit this orphanage? If so, it will be on the top of my MUST DO list. I could have watched this show all night long, it was way too short.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:29 PM

Really enjoyed it, even though it was so brief. 60 Minutes did a good job!

No matter how many times I've gotten the updates, seen programs, and even gotten to visit the orphanage, this story just moves me to tears. Elephants are so amazing. And to be as matter-of-factly doing the (frequently heartbreaking) work that Dame Daphne and all the keepers and vets do--wow, they are incredible.

Thanks for the reminder, Jan.

Carla, you can visit during feeding/bath time (11am-noon). If you've adopted an ele, I believe you can also visit...5-6pm? They have a website. If you're in Nairobi, definitely go.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:50 AM

I was also suprised to learn that blowing into an ele's trunk upon introducing yourself will make a life-long imprint on that particular ele.
Can you imagine? Being remembered forever from one small gesture.
That is just way cool! 8-)
It just goes to show you how intelligent these animals really are.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 05:26 AM

Argh! I Tivo'd it but apparently the Master's golf tournament ran overtime so 60 Minutes started later than usual, and Tivo cut off promptly at 8pm before the segment aired! I'm SO bummed.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Thanks again, Jan. It was a very moving segment and I, too, shed some tears. That little guy seemed to be doing so well, it was so disheartening to see he didn't make it. I wish I could visit during my layover in Nairobi. Maybe I'll write and beg them to let me come!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

cooncat:

All you need do is write your safari company and let them know you also want transportion to the Sheldrick Trust from 11 - 12:00 on __________ date.
Your safari company can pick you up at your hotel and take you there, wait the one hour and drive you back to your hotel. It is well worth the trip.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:52 AM

Hi Jan-
Thanks for that additional info. We watched because I saw your posting and were saddened about the death.

I am just curious, do you work there? If so, how does one even begin to qualify to work with wild animals, either at an oprhanage or as a safari guide? Have you studied as a zoologist?
Just lucky?

The kids were asking about that and I thought I'll just get on the boards and ask: how does one do whatever it is you do that has you so involved with wild animals?

Forgive me if I am misreading your situation and if you are merely a visitor to the orphanage occasionally.

Peterman
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Jan - Unfortunately I only have a layover - I think it's about 5-6 hours - in Nairobi coming back from Zambia. I don't get into Nairobi until 5 p.m. So, it's not likely to happen. Unless you put in a good word for me! Thanks, though~Sharon
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Cooncat-
Since it gets dark around 6 or so because Nairobi's so close to the equator, I don't think it's gonna work!

Maybe you should do an overnighter there upon your return from Zambia! Just a thought.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 10:34 AM

I entertained a lot of ideas like that -including 3 nights in Kenya on my way out. I just couldn't afford to do it all, unfortunately! My flights are locked in, too.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 10:56 AM

You can always change your flights.
I've done it many a time. And at least twice while in Africa.

But I'm not trying to talk you into it or anything like that! No...not me!! :-"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -