Luggage check/insurance/Zambia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! Couple misc. questions. I'm looking at TravelGuard's Savvy Traveler plan. Look adequate? Missing anything? ALSO:

I talked to Kenya Airways. The man there told me that I could check my bags from United in Lincoln, all the way to Lusaka! (The airlines would cooperate to get the bag where it needs to go) This would be great but it also worries me. I had planned to just check to London then re-check on KA to Lusaka. Any thoughts/experiences? Thanks!
Sharon
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Just one bump. Anyone?! Thanks!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 10:39 AM

I think we used TravelGuard last time--don't recall the actual policy, but then again as nothing bad happened we never had to file a claim.

Check your bags all the way through! Keep all your really impotant stuff (meds, camera, money) in a carry-on.

And of course have a fantastic time. Tick-tock, cooncat.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Impotant stuff...hmm, sorry about that typo.

I forgot to say we checked our stuff all the way through: Virgin to LHR and then Kenya Airways to NBO. It would have been a horrible pain to deal with the luggage in LHR. Maybe one of the airline-brilliant people on this board has a different opinion, though. (Patty...?)
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:07 AM

I forgot how long your layover is at LHR. I believe United flights arrive at T3 and your Kenya Airways flight will depart from T4. Even without having to claim/re-check luggage, I'd allow 2 hours to comfortably make this transfer.

I'd through check to LUN to avoid the hassle and bring 1-2 days worth of clothes and other necessities in your carry-on in case your bags do get delayed. I always do that for longer trips but neglected to do so on my trip to Hawaii last month. I thought "How can they possibly lose or delay my luggage on a flight between LAX and HNL?". Well, they did and I had to go clothes shopping on arrival (then again is that such a bad thing ).
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! The thing about checking all the way thru is, that means no shower in London - Patty I have all day there and plan to meet up with Julian in the city. Was hoping to get a shower at Heathrow. Then, there is the carrying on of extra clothing. Y'all, my camera bag is going to weigh a ton. I don't know how I can carry much more stuff with me on board. Any tips from those who take a lot of photo gear??

Patty - My luggage got lost coming BACK from Hawaii a couple of years ago. The only time that has ever happened to me! Too funny.

Leely - tick-tock is right! It's still a couple months out, but it will be here before we know it!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Well, if you have all day in London and you're going to clear immigration anyway, you can do whatever you want

How are you planning to get into the city and meet up with Julian though? I don't think I'd want to drag all my luggage on the tube, but perhaps you're a much lighter packer than me!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Patty - I get into Heathrow at about 6 a.m. So, although I don't have set plans yet, I was thinking about heading over KA immediately to check my bag. Then grab the tube and head into London. Plan B was to arrive at the airport, take a shower, then head to KA and on to the tube. I wish someone would tell me what it's like showering at the airport. It seems like it could be a hassle.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:27 PM

cooncat,
If no one here has showered at Heathrow try posting on the Europe board.

Even with your plans I'd check the luggage. You could take one of those camping/gym/travel towel things that weighs no more than a few ounces and dries in a few minutes if they don't offer towels in LHR shower facilities.

I think Heathrow is a hassle no matter what!

Plus, I'm sure Julian won't mind if you're a bit grubby.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Have you checked what time the Kenya Airways counter opens?

Try searching the flyertalk boards for showers at LHR. I'm sure someone there has posted on the topic and can tell you exactly what's involved, where they're located and what amenities are provided. My guess is that soap and towels are provided and you just need to bring personal toiletries and a change of clothes.

Plan C - shower at Julian's
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM

What about meeting Kavey - don't I count? <CRY>
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Oh no wait, unless it's a kind of romantic thing going on, in which case I definitely don't want to play gooseberry... didn't think of that but... one never knows...

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Patty - LOL! I love plan C - however Julian lives in Oxford. I'd love to just go to Oxford since I can't possibly do much of London in a day and Oxford would be very cool to see, but I'm not sure how far it is or convenient from the airport. Jules?

Leely - another laugh - While I do care about how I look to a certain degree, the thing about showering is this: I leave the states and get to London. In London all day. I climb back on the plane for a 9-hour flight to Nairobi. Wait a couple hours. Fly to Lusaka. Wait for ??? then get a little plane to Jeki airstrip. Then a ride to camp..... What is that, about 30 hours without a shower!!!?
By the time I reach Chiawa I will most certainly be.... utterly disheveled. ;-) I just thought a shower midway might be a good thing!

Thanks for your input and I will check the other forums. (I've tried the Europe board but I can always try again)

Sharon
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Kavey - Of COURSE you count! Won't you be in Scotland?
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Oh crap! We talked about the dates already didn't we? I'm so senile! And here I was imagining a budding romance! (Or are you just side-stepping that suggestion?)
We're in Scotland from 25th to 30th May though we may leave home on 24th and not get home till 31st.
When are you in London?
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Hi Sharon,

I'd recommend checking your bags all the way through, and checking in for your KA flight before you leave the airport. You should be able to check in early and get your boarding pass, etc -- there shouldn't be much of a queue at 600am.

If you don't want to haul your camera bag around all day, you can check at least some of the stuff into the left luggage place at the airport for about £4. Personally, I'd just bring the stuff with me, but I'm not sure how much you're stuffing in there.

Oxford is a long ways from the airport (more than an hour and a half), so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a day trip from Heathrow -- you'll spend a big chunk of your time sitting on a coach going through some of the least scenic areas in England. Plus, I'd be a bit worried about you getting back in time to check in for your flight -- your departure time means that you would be on the road during the afternoon rush hour, which can add significantly to your travel time. London is a safer bet since you can take the Tube and traffic won't be a factor.

I believe there are showers in all of the terminals, though to be honest I've never used them -- I figure I can wait another hour or two to get home.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:10 PM

This was all the info I could find regarding showers at heathrowairport.com -

Showers
Showers are available in the following locations:

Terminal 3 - departure lounge - these facilities are currently unavailable due to development works.

Terminal 4 - available in the toilet areas on the arrivals level, before security. Further facilities are available after security control.

Not much to go on is it? I tried searching flyertalk as well but so far all of the threads I've found are for showers inside airline lounges. Heaven forbid anyone stoop to using a public shower I'll keep trying.

But I'm still wondering whether the Kenya Airways check-in counter will be open that early or do Kenya Airways and KLM share counters at T4? There might be a transfer desk airside where you can pick up your Kenya Airways boarding pass but that wouldn't help with luggage re-check.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM

check how early you can check in before a flight also. some airlines (airnewzealand for example) wouldn't let us check in or our bags until 3 hours before departure. so if you are planning on checking in that early, make sure you can.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Wow - Thanks for all that legwork, Patty! I may just have to forget the shower idea. Kavey - I'll miss you by one day! I'm in London on Friday, May 26.

I did ask KA if I could check in upon arrival and that's when they told me to just check my bags all the way to Lusaka. I didn't get an answer about the time of check in so I'll ask them again when I call to reserve my seat.

Julian I am going to just bring all my carryon stuff with me. Shouldn't be too much to handle! OK - bedtime now!

Cheerio and thanks again everybody!!!