Luangwa River Lodge (New Lodge Opening In August)

Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Luangwa River Lodge (New Lodge Opening In August)

www.luangwariverlodge.com

I am not sure whether or not this is the old lodge known as Lion's Camp. If so, it has been given a major facelift and would be located very near to Kaingo, in a very beautiful and isolated part of the park.

The best thing about this lodge is the price...$280 per person per night sharing in high season rack rate in high season, and dropping down to $200 per person per night for any nights more than four nights. Low season rates, from 12/01 - 5/31 are a very reasonable $180 per person per night sharing, dropping all the way down to $120 pppns for any nights more than four nights.

According to an article dated June 30th in the Times Of Zambia:

At the 10-bed $800,000 Luangwa River Lodge, still under construction, director Tara Van Der Maas said the South Luangwa National Park was the last unspoiled animal sanctuary in the world and that with the warmth of the Zambian people tourism industry held a promising future.

She said her place, which would be operational by this August, would not be just another lodge in the park but would have new features, such as massaging and physiotherapy to ensure total relaxation of tourists.

"We shall also encourage people to do carvings and paintings. We also intend to look at the local cuisine and see how we can improve on it.

Our lodge will ensure total relaxation. But I can tell you this park is the only one of is kind in the world where everything has remained in its natural state" a confident Ms Van Der Maas said.

---------------------------------------

So, add one more great looking lodge to the South Luangwa National Park. I think May would be a wonderful time to visit South Luangwa...hopefully in time to see the wild dogs (they were out of sight by early June) and early enough to take advantage of great rates.

I, for one, wouldn't mind spending about 9 nights entirely in the South Luangwa, with five nights at Luangwa River Lodge for $1,680 ($840 pppns), and four nights at either Nkwali or Tena Tena. I imagine that Nkwali or Tena Tena would be possible to get in May for possibly around $250 pppns, making it a $2,000 stay at Robin Pope Safaris.

So, a top notch 9 night safari in South Luangwa in May should run about as follows:

Luangwa River Lodge - 5 nts. - $1,680
Nkwali or Tena Tena - 4 nts. - $2,000
Air from Lusaka to Mfuwe - $600

$4,280 USD including Zambian air transfers...not too shabby, and these are rack rates or early season specials, not involving any appealing to the lodges for special rates.

Search this Thread