Search

Accommodation in Winelands

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Jennifer

Accommodation in Winelands

We are looking for accommodation in the SA winelands, preferably in Franschoek. La Petite Ferme is already booked. Does anyone have any other recommendations in the area and an idea of prices?<BR><BR>

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hello Jennifer,<BR><BR>It is important to know when you will in the winelands and what type of accommodation you are looking for. With that said if you could publish what dates you will want to be staying in Franschhoek as well as a price range then I could make suggestions to you. <BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:16 AM
hanl

We stayed at le Quartier Fran&ccedil;ais in March of this year and thought it was lovely. Pretty gardens, comfy rooms and the restaurant was fantastic. The staff were very competent and friendly too. Their website is here: http://www.relaischateaux.com/site/u...cCode=quartier

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Jennifer

We will be there in the first week of January and would like a nice B&amp;B or Hotel. Le Quartier Francais looks very nice but is just too much for our budget at about $300 per night. We are looking for something more in the $100-$150 range, which would be in the R600-R900 range.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Lisa

Jennifer, current exchange ratees are approx. $1 to R9.20 which will give you a better exchange rate than what you are currently working on.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Jennifer

Lisa, you must be talking about american money. That, I don't have. We get about 5.8 Rand for our Canadian dollars.<BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Lisa

Sorry, Jennifer, my mistake. When I see $, I assume people mean American dollars, not Canadian. Just trying to help.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 01:22 AM
traci

Don't know if you have had success as yet, the first week of Jan is bound to be very busy in the Cape area. Try the following which are in the price range you mention:<BR>Die Ou Pastorie - www.dieoupastorie.co.za<BR>Klippe Rivier - klipperivier.co.za<BR>

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hello Jennifer,<BR><BR>Thanks for telling us when you will need accommodation in the Farnschhoek area. I have made quite a couple of enquiry calls on your behalf trying to see what is available during your stay in Franschhoek that would suit your pocket.<BR><BR>I have found out that there is availability of accommodation from 4-8 January at Cathbert Country House. This venue is one of those hidden gems in the Franschoek valley that very few people know about. It is absolutely wonderful. It is so peaceful and tranquil as the venue is set high up in the Franschhoek mountains. You wont hear a car. All you will hear is nature around you and the scenery is to die for too. The rooms are well appointed and spacious. The owners and hosts at Cathbert are Robert and Ann Morley. They are marvellous, social and very helpful folk. Anne's dinner meals (optional) are fabulous. Just imagine having a fabulous dinner in the open under the stars! The location is absolutely first class in terms of wanting to explore the Winelands. In my opinion, as a tourism professional, I think it represents an absolute delight to want to stay at. this establishment <BR><BR>Please go to http://www.cathbert.co.za where you will see more of the venue. I have also taken some pics at the guesthouse and I set up a special separate website for those who travel with me to use so as to help them in seeing what a gem Cathbert truly is. Please go to http://www.cathbert2.cjb.net to see the site that I have set up.<BR><BR>OK Jennifer I hope the above helps and that it suits you to stay at this venue. If you do this it would be wonderful to hear from you on your return via the Fodors page what you thought of your stay at Cathbert.<BR><BR>Have a great trip to SA.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Stephen

Jennifer.<BR>We have just returned from South Africa and we also tried La Petite Ferme and it was booked. Found an excellent B&amp;B at Klein Oliphants Hoek, 1 block off of the main street. Very nice folks and they also run a private restaurant at night which was one of the better meals we had in South Africa. Their rates were very competitive I think $80-130 for 2 B&amp;B. www.kleinoliphantshoek.com, the website pictures do not do it justice.<BR>Good Luck...Franschoek was beautiful.<BR>

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz.

Jennifer,<BR><BR>I have to back Stephen up 100% when he talks about Klein Olfantshoek. As a guesthouse it is pretty reasonable. It actually is an old church, come theatre hall that has been transformed into a guesthouse. I certainly rate the venue as comfortable and hospitable.<BR><BR>When it comes to food and a great meal THERE IS NO BETTER IN FRANSCHHOEK. It is a very unique and extraordinary experience to dine at Klein Olifantshoek not only because the food is excellent but also because it must be one the very few places that one can eat out at where the chef invites you into his kitchen to watch him make your meal over amongst others an old wood fire stove. The meal is a set 4 course menu with choices amongst the courses. This is a culinary dream.<BR><BR>Now dont start running to the restaurant to make a booking as you probably wont get in as the guesthouse caters for its visitors first and only have a small overflow function which gets taken up long in advance. Thus the formula is that if you want to eat at the venue you have to stay at the establishment.<BR><BR>I also agree with Stephen that their website does not do them fair justice.<BR><BR>Enjoy if you visit the establishment.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 01:39 PM
james

We usually take a self catering place in Franschhoek - it's inexpensive and there are sooooo many lovely places to eat at locally - why do a hotel? Having said that accasionally we end up in a hotel (Grand Roche in Paarl is the bees knees). Last visit we spent 10 days in Franschoek and didn't eat anywhere more than once......

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Jackie

La Couronne was amazing - in Franschoek. It has a website.