Low cost SA recommendations

May 18th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Low cost SA recommendations

First, I want to thank everyone on this board who helped with my questions& planning-my first trip to South Africa was wonderful and I thank you for your help!!
I have two relatively low priced suggestions- 1) The Fritz Hotel in Cape Town- is a small hotel/ guest house in the Gardens area. It's ina safe, quiet neighborhood, very close to restaurants & bars &easy to get a taxi to other parts of the city. Lovely breakfast in the morning is included in the cost. Our room was simply decorated with a wonderful view of table mountain. The hotel even has a car available to rent. Definitely not the fanciest of places, but service was great and it had all we wanted & more.
2) Nkorho Bush Lodge in Sabi Sands- We had a WONDERFUL stay. Saw the big 5 in our first 2 game drives. Guide, tracker and staff were above & beyond friendly and helpful. Room was clean, spacious and beautifully decorated. Bathroom is large with tub & shower. Nice pool and deck to watch the animals pass by. Food was superb. Of course, this isn't the place to go if you want 5+ star luxury like singita but if you want a quality lodge for a fraction of those prices, I highly recommend Nkorho.
Hope this is helpful.
May 18th, 2004, 09:28 PM

Just to expand on this thread a little bit, Nkhoro is located very close to Djuma Vuyatela but is less than half the price of Vuyatela and probably 1/3 less than Djuma Bush Lodge. Nkhoro shares the same traversing rights at Djuma and while at Vuyatela last year, we frequently crossed paths with Nkhoro's vehicle(s?).

I also found Nkhoro's location to be more pleasant than the location of Vuyatela, which was just to close to one of the gates to the Sabi Sand.

Just for the record, Vuyatela is about $450 per person per night sharing in high season and about $300 per person per night sharing in low season. I do believe that Nkhoro is about half of even the low season pricing.

Search this Thread