Search

Need help about traveling around Oman

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help about traveling around Oman

Hello,
First time to the Middle East and I'm going to be visiting Oman for a week. I'd like to see places outside Muscat and I hear renting a car seems like the best solution--only I'll be alone and that doesn't sound like a good idea. (I don't like drving alone in unfamiliar places any where, for that matter.)

Any suggestions for a single traveler who's thinking of visitng Sur, Nizwa and some desert dunes not too far away from the capital? Is Nizwa worth staying a night or two, or would I be better off taking a day trip from the capital?

What about Oman National Transport Corporation bus services/routes? Is that an option? Maybe you can recomend some tour operators or organized tours, etc..
I'm not finding too much in my searches
and I would certainly appreciate any advice fellow Fodorites can offer.

Thanks a lot.

Boron
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Topping for help, please.

Thanks,

Boron
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 02:43 AM

Hi ,
Last year my husband and I rented a car at Seeb airport and drove all over Muscat with no problems.

The only difficult part was the traffic circle in front of the airport.Roads in the capital were in very good condition.

Just make sure your car is clean or you could get a ticket.

You might want to check out this trip report from the Lonely Planet:

http://lonelyplanet.mytripjournal.co...0.3.0.18.1.2.0

I would also recommend you posting your question on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum. There are many intrepid travelers on that site that have probably taken your exact route.

Good Luck! You will love Oman.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 02:45 AM

Many years since I was last there but you are right to spend time to see around as it is in my opinion about the most fascinating of all the Gulf region states. I wouldn't really venture off in a rental you will probably be better off with a driver/tour, if you don't want to go with a group ( although each group probably small and fun can be shared ) most tour agents will arrange a driver/guide for you so you can follow their suggestions of where to go.
It's a great place and retains a great deal of charm, you will enjoy. I came across some tour ideas but I wouldn't bother booking in advance. When you get to your hotel just grab the brochures or chat with the tour desk and see what's on offer.
If you are into snorkeling then the Al Sawada resort at Barka offers trips to the Sawadi Islands. I don't know yor budget but the Al Bustan Intercontinental at Muttrah has an amzing setting.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and helpful suggestions. The article in Lonely Planet and the Thorn Tree forum also had useful advice.
I'm getting closer to figuring out what to do.
Boron