Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Los Angeles to JNB via Dubai on Emirates Airways - anyone done this route?

Los Angeles to JNB via Dubai on Emirates Airways - anyone done this route?

May 31st, 2014, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Los Angeles to JNB via Dubai on Emirates Airways - anyone done this route?

I would sure love to take the good old Delta flight that stops in Atlanta, but the prices for our September trip are still uncomfortably high.

If it saves enough money, we are considering the Emirates flight. It lays over in Dubai for 14 hours, enough time for a night in a hotel, and coming home the layover is about 3 hours. But, the time in the air is 4 hours longer than the Delta flights. The timing works for us, so I am just curious to see if anyone has any comments about this routing and/or Emirates, which seems to be a very nice airline.

Other flights that may go through London or Europe don't work for us, they get into JNB early in the morning and I don't want that, the Delta and Emirate flights arrive in the late afternoon so we can sleep in a JNB hotel.
Jun 1st, 2014, 09:24 AM

Haven't taken the Emirates from JFK/NYC flight via Dubai to JNB, but did twice do their flight to Nairobi/NBO.... the price was the best. And thankfully no more than 3-4/hrs layover either direction. The plane interiors are lovely, a great entertainment system, a wide array of food service and pleasant crew.

The killer though is the first segment from the States to Dubai, for me 12-13/hrs and probably similar for you as you'll likely fly over the Pole...ugh! And since last I had flown JFK/JNB 14/hrs or SFO/SYD 14+/hrs, forgot just how long those hours are till I reminded myself 'anything over 8/hrs you no longer feel the pain.'

At least they provides a hotel which is a bonus for the long layover. The hotel is attached to the airport unless they're using another these days, but include all transfers if farther away.

I sure wouldn't hesitate if the timing/price work.
Jun 1st, 2014, 12:16 PM

We did this route a couple of years ago, only from SFO.

It worked well for us. We chose it as we could get rid of the luggage in SFO and not meet up with again till JNB. The airline was superb. We stayed overnight in the airport hotel which charges by the hour and it was very comfortable and comparable pricewise to any good city hotel, because we booked ahead of time on the internet.. Can't remember if we could have gone on sooner or not. (Airline pays for hotel under certain conditions.) But I wanted to break up the flights, rest, sleep, and take baths before going on. It may have been a bit longer, but we would do it again.

Search this Thread