Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Looking for recommendations for Zanzibar accommodation/dolphin tour (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/looking-for-recommendations-for-zanzibar-accommodation-dolphin-tour-752658/)

striderhopkins Dec 10th, 2007 05:46 PM

Looking for recommendations for Zanzibar accommodation/dolphin tour

Looking for recommendations on where to stay in/near Stone Town and on the eastern coast, as well as a good dolphin tour. We'll probably be there three nights, four days at the end of Feb.

Cheers

Poppins Dec 12th, 2007 12:48 AM

I really like the Zanzibar Serena, but that is a more luxurious option. I have also stayed at Tembo House which is clean and friendly.

sandi Dec 12th, 2007 04:03 AM

In Stone Town:
Serena Inn, Beit al Chai, Chavda, 236 Hurumzi, Tembo House, Dhow Palace, Africa House, Zanzibar Palace

On the Beach:
see: www.go-safari.com Select Tanzania, Select Zanzibar, Select areas
Some suggestions: Blue Bay, Breezes, Pongwe Beach, Matemwe Beach Village, Matemwe Bungalows, Matemwe Retreat, Karafuu Resort, The Palms, Ras Nungwi or Mnemba Island off the coast.

These are only a few, all at different price points.

I do recommend for February, which is summer (hot & humid) in East Africa, you consider a property that, in addition to ceiling fans, also has air conditioning... not all above do.

striderhopkins Dec 14th, 2007 03:05 AM

Thanks so much Poppins and Sandi. I will check out your recommendations. Feedback very much appreciated.

MyDogKyle Dec 14th, 2007 12:45 PM

In Stone Town we stayed at 236 Hurumzi (formerly Emerson and Green). Easy to walk around and explore the area, great views from the rooftop, and every room is unique and different -- ours had a little bridge across to it from the main building and an outdoor tub/shower in a private courtyard. I know some people think this place is a little weatherbeaten, but we loved it. Very charming, and the staff was great.

For the beach, I can recommend Pongwe. It's a very laid-back place, not too fancy, with an absolutely gorgeous beach. We didn't do any of their day tours, so I'm not sure about the dolphin tour. But the food and cottages and beach at Pongwe were wonderful. Their "Swahili night" dinner was the best food we had during our 3 weeks in East Africa. They also have a beautiful little infinity pool, which would be a plus on a hot day. I'd go back there in a heartbeat!

ShayTay Dec 14th, 2007 03:52 PM

Pongwe is a great place to stay, but they don't have air conditioning, if that's something you want. It's rather hot in Zanzibar in February. If you stay at Pongwe, ask for one of the bungalows right on the beach; they have a few set back off the beach and they don't catch the sea breezes. Ceiling fans are in the rooms, but, when I was there, the generator went off at midnight and so did the fans.

jke1558 Dec 16th, 2007 10:49 AM

Enjoyed stay at Dhow Palace. Good atmosphere and frendly, helpful staff. Not a good experience at Chavda--only there one night. 236 Hermozi (sp) looks great but wasnot available while we were there. Make reservations way early. Heard great things of Pongwe Beach for traveleres that had stayed there. Of course the Serena Zanzibar is superb but pricy. This was in July 2007.

atravelynn Dec 16th, 2007 11:12 AM

What's the dolphin tour? Viewing dolphins from a boat? Hopefully not swimming with captive ones. Swimming with wild ones who choose to interact or not would a wonderful activity.

ExplorerNY Jan 4th, 2008 04:39 AM

We recently stayed at Zanzibar Palace in Stone Town. Excellent small boutique-style hotel. I would suggest staying in Stone town for just 1 night. Then head to the beach.

ZNZ will be hot at that time, so make sure your hotels have A/C.

cssuen Jan 4th, 2008 05:38 AM

Dose anyone ever stay at Ocean Paradise in the northeast area?

Would like to know the evaluation there, thank you!