Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Looking for private driver with car in Uganda
Notices

Looking for private driver with car in Uganda

Oct 11th, 2014, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Looking for private driver with car in Uganda

Hi all!

I'm planning trip with my wife to Uganda in 1st. of decembre. The travel time would be 16 days.

Can anyone recommend some driver with 4x4 car or without?. Preferably not through an agency. I haven't been able to find any operators under 80US$ per day - car with driver.

Has anyone just hired a private driver and booked the hotels on their own?

We like to visit national parks across the country and gorrilas.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Best regards Niko
Oct 11th, 2014, 06:35 AM

I honestly don't have travel experience in Uganda but I did spend a fair amount of time researching a possible trip. Hopefully those knowledgeable will jump in with some good advice. Until they do, here are my thoughts. I think $80/day for car and driver is unreasonably low. I believe something ~150/day would be pretty good, though many may charge more than that. I'd be suspect of both guide and car at $80. The last thing you want to do in Uganda or on any vacation is sit by the side of the road or at a garage waiting for repairs to be done. There seem to be several agencies that are often recommended and I think ultimately using them to arrange for car/driver would ensure a safe and productive trip. You could probably book hotels on your own but that means lots of work, communication and perhaps some extra cost on your part (if you're asked to wire funds to multiple places). Good luck with your planning.
Oct 11th, 2014, 11:51 AM

I have used Wemtec a couple of times. They have a fabulous 1949's rag topped ex army land rover that makes a stunning viewing platform for wildlife, not the fastest vehicle but unforgettable, inexpensive and ensures a real connection with the Country.
Nov 5th, 2014, 08:22 PM

We have traveled with Affordable Uganda Safaris Limited on 3 occasions, visiting there offices they have a fleet of 7 vehicles all well maintained. We traveled in Nissan GLS 4X4 Which was really fantastic. you might want to contact them through there website.

Search this Thread