Search

group trip for twenty-something to Israel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
group trip for twenty-something to Israel

Hi all,

I am looking for a group tour for my twenty-five year old daughter. She wanted to do Birthright, but they don't have anything until winter and she will have some time off between jobs soon. She'd like something for one to two weeks. It should be Jewish oriented, but not Orthodox. Do you have any idea where to look?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 06:31 AM

When is "soon" and why doesn't she want to tour on her own ?
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Soon is the next couple months. She has never traveled by herself even in the U.S. and would like to take a group tour. She was psyched to do Birthright, but the timing is bad. By the time the next tours start in the winter, she will be at a new job and it will be hard for her to take time off.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 11:26 AM

Birthright is scheduled for when students are off from school, so summer or spring or fall breaks... guess she missed out.

Israel is probably one of the easiest countries to tour on one's own. Yup, scary if her first trip outside the States or anywhere, but you never run out of what to do/see in this country. You can spend an entire visit in Jerusalem alone and there's still more to see, but doubt that will do it for her.

She can base herself for a few days in JER, a few in TLV and arrange daytrips... south of JER to Masada; or north of TLV to Haifa; maybe even add on a few days to Safad area. Most every descent hotel has a tour desk who can arrange for her, or nearby tour office to do so, whether as an individual or joining a group. We did this our first visit too many years ago. And when we were on our own, never ran out of things to do/see by foot or bus. Or do a 'search' on this board, as names of expert Tour Guides have been mentioned who can assist her. This though might be more expensive than she'd expect to spend, but at least she's her own boss and not have to deal with 'decision by committee.'

If she'd prefer not to travel alone, let her look at other tour groups that specialize in Israel, as Isram (located in NYC) or Gate 1 (the Phila burbs)... and there are others, for their itineraries. Groups will be of all ages, and not all 'mature adults' and even if... when there are singles on group tours, they're looked after.

I'm sure someone will see this thread and have other recommendations, but she's got to do lots of research to determine exactly what she wants from this adventure.

Good luck!
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 02:30 AM

This is a very popular and often recommended hostel in Jerusalem:
http://www.abraham-hostel-jerusalem....FUld3goduQ4AUw
They also run tours to all parts of the country:
http://abrahamtours.com/
so this is a good place for your daughter to base yourself.

There are also excellent youth hostels around the country. They are open to everyone and have high standards:
www.iyha.org.il
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 11:19 PM

I do not know if the tours from Abraham hostel are Jewish focused. They are more general. The people she will meet staying there are international --all ages, backgrounds and religions!
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 05:13 AM

As far as I know, there aren't organized trips for mid-twenties that are less than 4 months long; the post-college trips that I found were either volunteer or internship-based.

For what it's worth: I'm 23, and I'd be happy to meet up with her when she gets here!
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 05:24 AM

jerirl, can I ask what your daughter ended up deciding?
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi Hannah,

She wound up taking the Birthright Trip and had a blast. She was fortunately able to get time off from her new job.
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 07:37 PM

Glad to read that. Yes, Birthright trips all get fantastic feedback.