Looking for luxury travel experience in Kenya

Mar 11th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Looking for luxury travel experience in Kenya

We are planning a trip to Kenya in 2013 to see the migration and are overwhelmed by the number of choices in accomodations. This will be our last trip to Africa so we are looking to splurge on something super nice for the duration of our stay. We've heard that July is the best time of year to see the migration in Kenya but would appreciate any suggestions/guidance offered by the Fodors Forum experts. Of utmost importance to us is the ability to go on game drives in open sided vehicles rather than the pop up roof type of jeeps. We're planning to stay for 10 days (excluding travel time) and would like to visit 2-3 camps during our stay in the area. As a point of reference, we had a fantastic experience in Botswana (Okavango Delta area) a couple of years ago and stayed at Mombo Camp, Vumbura Plains and Abu Camp. We're looking for similar accommodations in Kenya. Any suggestions????
Mar 11th, 2012, 05:42 PM

Contact Africa Serendipity. Sandi is an expert on East Africa and could plan something nice for you. BTW, I think that August would be better for seeing the Migration in the Masai Mara.
Mar 11th, 2012, 07:12 PM

I agree with ShayTay - Sandi at Africa Serendipity will look after you well.
Mar 11th, 2012, 07:41 PM

I'll make it a threesome - contact Africa Serendipity.

regards - tom
Mar 11th, 2012, 11:18 PM

I agree with you that July is a perfect time for the spectacular wildebeest migration in the Maasai Mara game reserve.
Please view below camps;
Maasai Mara:3nights
Explorean camp or Olonana Camp-sanctuary retreat.Both are located next to the Mara river.
Amboseli National Park.2nights
Kilima camp;perfect for viewing Mt.Kilimanjaro and elephants.
Tsavo West National Park.2nights
Severin Safari Camp.Located at the heart of the park very close to Mzima Springs.

All game viewing open sided vehicles can be arranged.Please contact an outfitter to advise as well.
I have been to the camps and did like their services.
Cheers.
Mar 12th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info pody22 and for spending the time to detail a possible itinerary. To Cary999,KathBC and ShatTay, we appreciate your recommendation of Africa Serendipity. They have an awesome website and look like a very professional outfitter. We are still exploring all options and hoping that we'll get additional input to our post. Thanks to all for sharing your expertise-
Mar 13th, 2012, 03:40 AM

Just a point on the vehicles. I am also used to the open vehicles of Zambia/Botswana but have recently visited Kicheche's camps in the Mara conservancies. They have vehicles that are somewhere between completely open and "pop up top"- see photos here http://www.kicheche.com/activities.shtm

I actually found this sort of vehicle better for photography, as it is still very open whilst providing more surfaces to rest a bean bag on. One of the owners of Kicheche is a professional photographer (Paul Goldstein) so the vehicles were probably carefully selected with photographers in mind.

Kicheche probably aren't quite the level of luxury you're looking for (try Mara Plains- owned by Great Plains Conservation who own Duba Plains in Botswana) but I wouldn't fixate too much on open vehicles.
Mar 13th, 2012, 07:26 AM

We were in Masai Mara from August 8 to August 13 2007, stayed two nights in Mara Sarena and 3 nights in Little Governor Camp. We saw migration twice, high lights of our trip. We were told that it was still early for migration, it would've been better in another week or so. So I agree that mid August will be better for migration.

Pat
Mar 13th, 2012, 10:44 AM

Note that prices for 2013 have yet to be published. Probably not before mid '12, from June forward. You'll still have more than sufficient time to plan.
Mar 17th, 2012, 07:59 PM

Look at Samburu Saruni in Kenya...www.sarunisamburu.com

Just magnificent and an amazing experience in the middle of no where!

I was thrilled and surprised it was part of my itinerary.

Enjoy, Max
Mar 18th, 2012, 08:29 AM

Hi James. I may get shot by saying this, but I am yet to have found a camp in Kenya that would be the likes on Mombo or Vumbra plains. Kenya tends to offer a more classic safari experience. If you had a look at Little Vumbra, that is more like what you would get in Kenya.

Open vehicles - try Mara explorer, Naibor, Rekero?

Let us all know how it goes.
Mar 20th, 2012, 09:27 PM

Again, Thanks to all for your informative posts. Most especially, the information from roadwarriorafrica is most appreciated!
Apr 26th, 2012, 09:23 AM

Have you figured it out yet? I'd like to hear what you settled on. Make sure to keep us posted!
Jul 10th, 2012, 03:10 AM

So what did you decide James?
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:11 PM
TC

James, We are all eager to know if you have made a decision. I have been looking to do a similar trip and have done extensive research on camps. Our benchmark camps are Jongomero, Selous Safari and Sand Rivers in S. Tanzania. Some of the camps that I am considering for Kenya/N. Tanzania are as follows:

Elsa's Kopje - Meru, Kenya
Rhino River Camp - Meru, Kenya
Mara Plains - Mara Olare Orok, Kenya
Rekero Naboisho - Mara Koiyaki & Ol Kinyei, Kenya
Serian Camp - Koiyaki Northwest, Kenya
Nomad Lamai Camp - Serengeti Mara, Tanzania
Sayari Mara Camp - Serengeti Mara Triangle, Tanzania
Aug 6th, 2012, 04:14 AM

I was to Kenya last year and stayed at Bateleur Camp and Little Shempole. Bateleur Camp had amazing, amazing game drives. Little Shempole had a gorgeous pool. Reminded me of Greece in the middle of Africa.

I'd head back to Bateleur for the game drive and just do Little Shempole for some relaxing.

I have more details and pictures at http://bombasticlife.com/place/kenya/
Aug 6th, 2012, 06:06 AM

bonbasticlife - sadly, the Shompole properties are closed and have been for at least the past year... something to do with the local community. However, have to admit this was one of my favorite stops in Kenya.
Aug 6th, 2012, 07:26 AM

We stayed at Loisaba and Mara Explorer in 2007. Loisaba had the most wonderful Balloon Experience and Star Beds. Great game drives (though nothing compared to Botswana/Tanzania).
Mara Explorer was beautiful too.
Aug 7th, 2012, 01:39 AM

For a luxury experience in Masai Mara I will recommend you the following camps& Lodge :
Olonana Camp
Bateleur Camp
Ngendere Island Lodge

The above properties are small and they provide high quality services with personal touch.
Sep 21st, 2012, 11:00 AM

Ooh! You're going to have such a great time! Can I come along? Have you tried Travcoa? They do safari-type trips. I had friends who went on one and just raved about it. http://www.travcoa.com/find-a-journe...dlife-of-kenya

Search this Thread