Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Looking for Israel/Jordan (Petra) Suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/looking-for-israel-jordan-petra-suggestions-553643/)

Howard Aug 23rd, 2005 03:46 AM

Looking for Israel/Jordan (Petra) Suggestions

We (two of us) are starting to plan for a trip to Israel with a side trip to Petra, for next May/June. Below is a draft itinerary, and we welcome any feedback.

Note two things - we were in Israel for about 17 days in 2004, visiting Jerusalem, Galilee and northern coast, Tel Aviv, Dead Sea. We rented a car for our travels outside of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. Also, for the trip below, we relaize it will be hot in Eilat/Petra, but because of work considerations, we can't go earlier in the year.

Jerusalem - 6 nights - would visit Bethlehem if possible and prehaps one other day trip, otherwise stay in city

Eilat - 2 nights - probably would rent a car for one day to visit Timna, and/or other nearby sites. Does anyone have a suggestion for a moderate ($80-$120 per night) hotel in Eilat. The nicer ones seem quite pricey. Perhaps the Crowne Plaza??

Petra - 3 nights - giving us about 2.5 days at the ruins. Any suggestions for a moderate hotel in Petra?

Eilat - 2 nights

Tel Aviv - 4 nights - perhaps a day trip - Ramle???? - and part of the time in Tel Aviv - perhaps parts of 2 days, visiting with a family we know there

The main reason of visiting Eilat is to get to Petra. Perhaps one less day in Eilat?? On the trip last year, we moved around a lot with the car..and even though this plan has us moving, it is more relaxed.

Lindy Aug 24th, 2005 11:28 AM

I don't think you need more than one day at Petra. It shouldn't be killer hot in May; that's when I went last year.

maxwell Aug 27th, 2005 10:37 AM

If you are going to be in Petra and have the time, I would really consider spending a night in Wadi Rum - they have some very comfortable camps out there. was one of the highlights of my jordan trip this summer.

Mamamia Sep 3rd, 2005 03:29 PM

I would spend more time in the Galillee, there are a lot of real treasures there, visit Haifa (and the Bahai Temple which is their world headquarters and in itself reallymarvellous), travel around the Sea of Galille (Kineret) and down to the Jordan valley.

Ramle???? ---- yes, your "????" is justified... No, no good reason to go to Ramle. Unless you want to visit somebody jailed in a prison there...

Also, there is a lot to see in the Negev, so renting a car to drive to Eilat is a good idea (leave early morning). I doubt the Jordanians would let you cross into Jordan with your rented car, though.

Lolo12 Sep 4th, 2005 07:50 AM

I think you are planning too many days for Petra. I stayed at the Movenpick about 7 years ago. Sorry to say I don't remember the cost, but you could probably check it out on their website.