Looking for a happy medium...

May 14th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Looking for a happy medium...

It seems that in South Africa by the time you get nice weather in Cape Town, it is far too hot to enjoy the Sabi Sand/Kruger NP.

Is there any month that it is nice in Cape Town and not yet too hot in the Sabi Sand/Kruger NP?

If not Cape Town, perhaps I would settle for Durban or elsewhere? It seems that Durban is pretty nice in September, but is Durban really worth visiting?

Besides the Western Cape, what other areas may be worth visiting. I do not want to freeze in the Sabi Sand/Kruger NP area, and I do want to go to either Botswana or Zambia in the prime viewing times of August/September next year, before finishing up with two weeks in South Africa, with nine of those nights split between Simbambili, Mala Mala and Singita Lebombo.

Checking the averages and records, I see that Durban averages 72 degrees farenheit even in August.

Not that there is necessarily anything that interests me in George, but I do see that it averages about 85-90 degrees f. all year round.

I cannot find any averages on Plettenberg Bay and Knysna.

Port Elizabeth also seems to feature warm weather year round.

So, for a holiday beginning in mid-August in either Zambia or Botswana, and making my way to the Sabi Sand/Kruger NP in late August and finishing up with about five nights somewhere in early September, where is a very nice area of South Africa to explore with great weather in early September???

I've been to Cape Town twice, and while I love Cape Town, I would like to see a bit more of South Africa.

Thanks!
May 15th, 2004, 02:17 AM

Hi Rocco,

We found October to be fabulous - but it the high season, so you pay a premium price for it. It not too hot during the day on safari(and not humid) and the weather in Cape Town was glorious. Start with the safari first and work your way down the garden route to Cape Town - so you are always heading towards the better weather for Cape Town at the end of your trip, rather than the reverse. (Which when we were there apparently everyone was doing).

By the way, I have heard from several lodges that that while Oct. is the hottest month in Zambia, it is the best month for viewing game.

Personally, I would rather have a shorter (ok, 3 weeks is not that short) trip with a little less luxury and better weather conditions than a longer luxury trip with so-so weather in off season. So, while Singita is out of my price range for high season, Chichele lodge is perfectly acceptable to me in October and I get to enjoy awesome weather in the winelands and the Cape.

Looking forward to hearing about your Zambia trip.

Good luck,
Melissa
May 15th, 2004, 04:16 AM
sandi

Roccco - Granted the weather can be hot and humid in Sabi when there is ideal weather in CPT, but your accommodations are air conditioned. The mornings will still be chilly and even windy in the open vehicles; same when you go out in the afternoon - with setting sun and the wind picks up in the vehicles again.

Mid-day, you have your own pool to cool off in, and even sitting on the decks are comfy.

I too know Hot & Humid (a NYC girl), and never really get comfortable with it, but even when we were in Sabi in November, we were never all that uncomfortable. Though Nov is known for thunderstorms, but CPT was lovely.

But I'd choose October if the rates were the same.

May 15th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Melissaom and Sandi. You bring up some good points about October.

Perhaps the best thing to do, as was suggested, would be to find airconditioned accomodations. However, that takes away the possibility of bushcamps, and I doubt places like Kwando Kwara, Kwando Lagoon, Chiawa and Sausage Tree Camp, despite being first class, would have air conditioning.

So, October works out fine for fancy places in the Sabi Sand but perhaps not so great for most places in Botswana and the South Luangwa.

Anyway...FIVE DAYS AND COUNTING!!!

Search this Thread