Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Looking for a discount airline to fly from Tel Aviv to Rome, Paris or Prague

Looking for a discount airline to fly from Tel Aviv to Rome, Paris or Prague

Apr 12th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Looking for a discount airline to fly from Tel Aviv to Rome, Paris or Prague

My son and a friend will be in Israel this summer for a 10 day trip. Upon completion of this trip, he wants to fly to any of the above cities and backpack thru Europe for about one month. I have done some research for discount airlines and have found Israir, but their international website does not work, you need to call Israel to get a reservation. I have tried that without much success, sent e-mails and also a fax. No response thus far. Can anyone provide me with information as to how to get to Europe for a reasonable fare from Tel Aviv? El Al and Alitalia are about $600.00 roundtrip. By the way, he does need a roundtrip to Europe, as his ticket from Tel Aviv to the U.S. is already paid. I appreciate any help I can get, he is leaving for Israel on May 19th and will be there for 10 days. He would like to be in Europe from about May 31 to June 29, 2006. Thanks to all in advance!
Apr 12th, 2006, 10:11 PM

I can see $540 to Prague on Czech Airlines for those dates.

The other suggestion would be to fly RT to Istanbul - around $400 on Turkish; then from Istanbul (Sabitha airport - not Attaturk) easyJet can take him to Basle (Switzerland) for around €38. Or he could fly to Athens for around the same $400 then to Milan for €30 or less, also on easyJet.

I'm assuming his TLV-US ticket can't be altered to allow a Europe stopover on the way? Of course that would be my first call - even if there's a penalty I doubt if it would be that much.

Also check out the online Ha'aretz and Jerusalem Post sites - they often have travel ads for trips originating in Israel.
Apr 13th, 2006, 02:30 AM
africnow

If he can get to a travel agent, the best deals are charter flights. He can buy a whole package for less than a r/t flight and then leave the group till the return flight to Israel.

Re Israir: It is Passover. Most places of business are either closed or work 1/2 days only.

Have you tried their No Am office?
North American office:
+1.877.477.2471
North American office opening hours:
Sundays: 11:00 am - 07:00 pm
Mondays-Thursdays: 09:00 am - 09:00 pm
Fridays: 09:00 am - 03:00 pm
Fax: +972.3.7955830
E-mail: [email protected]

Today is Passover itself - like a Sabbath. If you have not reached them by Sunday AM, let me know and I'll call their Israel office for you. Will need approximate dates.

Good luck.

Apr 13th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. Gardyloo, I will look into Czech Airlines, we may have to spend that much, tho I really didn't want to. Also, the Ha'aretz and Jerusalem Post sites are a good idea.
Africnow, don't let the Harrington fool you, my husband is the one who is not Jewish! I really appreciate your offer to call Israir, that is extremely gracious of you! I have contacted the NY office, they said you must call Israel, which we did, but the communication was difficult. So, I e-mailed and also sent a fax, but perhaps because of Passover we have not yet heard. Altho, I e-mailed over a week ago, so that really shouldn't be the reason. I did send the fax yesterday, so we shall see. My daughter's best friend is Israeli and speaks fluent Hebrew, so when the kids come back from our public schools spring break, I will ask her friend to call for us. But thank you again for your gracious offer. BTW, Happy Passover!

Thanks again, anyone else with suggestions, please feel free. I have also posted on the Europe thread as well.

Search this Thread