Long term medical insurance

Jan 29th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Long term medical insurance

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me. I`m trying to find out some information about obtaining long term medical insurance if my husband and I decide to move to Egypt from the UK to live.

Obviously we would want to make sure that we`d have sufficient insurance to cover us for treatment if we became ill while we were living there. I`ve tried doing a search on the Internet but the majority of policies are purely for holiday insurance and not for ongoing coverage for a longer period of time.

I was hoping that you might be able to give me some information about who I can contact to get this information.

Any information that you can give me about this would be really helpful.

Best wishes,

Di
Jan 29th, 2006, 05:38 AM

Hi Di,

Try this?

http://www.bupa.co.uk/

I hope this helps... all the best to you and your husband!
Jan 29th, 2006, 06:01 AM

Gatekeerdj,

You would have to check if this coverage would extend beyond U.S. borders, but my wife and I each have Long Term Care Insurance with Prudential. No matter that we are 34 and 33 years old, respectively, should we be in ANY accident, you know, a Nile Crocodile steals a limb from me, or whatever, we are covered.

As the owners of three Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly, in Pasadena, California, we see first hand how important it is to have Long Term Care Insurance. Because our homes are all private pay and very exclusive homes, we get three kinds of clients...very wealthy, those with long term care insurance, or the smartest of the the bunch are very wealthy WITH long term care insurance so that their care, which may run far above $100,000 per year by the time you include medical expenses and all other expenses is added up. I have seen people need care for the last 10 years of their lives, and sometimes each a husband and wife requiring care, so even a sizeable life savings can get eaten up pretty quickly.

Make sure you get a Long Term Care Insurance that offers an annual Cost Of Living Allowance increase. Our own policy features a 5% cost of living increase, and at $5,000 per person per month, our monthly payout will double approximately every 13 years, meaning that if I make it 47 years old before that Nile Crocodile gets ahold of me, I will have $10,000 per month for care, and there is nothing there that would prohibit my wife or a family member from being my caregiver, at least in my own policy. Chances are that inflation will only be half as much as the annual increase offered by the policy, so it is a good deal.

One thing I would recommed to all travelers, as well, is this:

www.medjetassistance.com

This is medical evacuation insurance, but unlike most policies, this company will provide medical transportation all the way home, no matter how far home happens to be. Most policies will just evacuate you to the nearest major city hospital...personally, I would much rather be at the Huntington Hospital in Pasadena if I had a problem than at whatever fine hospital there is in Arusha, Tanzania, Harare, Zimbabwe, Lusaka, Zambia or Gaborone? Botswana.
Jan 29th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Link to Prudential Long Term Care Insurance:

http://www.prudential.com/longTermIn...seven&name=ltc

Search this Thread