London Explosions

Jul 7th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

London Explosions

We are scheduled to fly to London tomorrow for a ten hour lay-ever and then on to safari in Kenya. We have been concerned about the travel warning to Kenya but were not concerned about London. We had planned to be all over London on Saturday. If anyone hears anything to suggest this will affect air travel into London, please post. I was concerned about traveling to an Al Qaeda hotspot but I did not factor the Edinburgh conference into the terrorism equation. There is no predicting when, where or how---here or elsewhere. The note for the bombings in moderate Spain alluded to the repayment of old debts for the Inquisition. Barbarism knows no borders.
Jul 7th, 2005, 03:58 AM

Hi Duck,
Londoner, Kavey, here.
Although it's a pretty crappy day I don't think you need to cancel your plans. Security at airports and throughout the city will be high but there have been no announcements whatsoever indicating that there have been any threats or suspicions about attacks at airports.
If I hear otherwise, I'll post here too.
Jul 7th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kavey. You take care.
Jul 7th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Kavey - Hope you and yours are OK. What a mess. I'm tempted to get political here, but I'll just keep my opinions of our wonderful, insightful, brilliant president to myself...

Take care.
Jul 7th, 2005, 05:40 AM

Me and mine are well, thanks and my phone has been ringing all morning with calls from family and from friends in both the UK and USA. That's really nice and reassuring.

Only 2 confirmed fatalities so far (don't think I take those two lightly, that's still two too many, but I'm comparing with other terrorist attacks which have claimed many more) and about 100 people with injuries, most not too serious.

Don't even get me started on politics - best to keep it off Fodors anyway, I think.
Jul 7th, 2005, 06:52 AM

So sad...any event like this is horrible and distressing. But just goes to show that the things you worry about are just that. The things you worry about. Often very different from the real risks that we face.

I would not change plans. In fact, generally speaking, the safest time to travel to a place is AFTER an event. Security with be at is most vigilant, and that minimizes threats. In fact, I'm thinking of booking a trip to London right now. Not to sound like a vulture, but the over-reaction makes airfare and hotels more affordable. And at some level, I like to think that terrorists want to discourage tourism and travel, and I don't want that to happen.

I think that Londoners are to be commended for their calm reaction to the tragedy.
Jul 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Casualties higher than initially thought. Dead bodies being brought up out of the Underground.
Jul 7th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Kavey,
So sorry about what is going on in London...very glad to hear you are fine.
Sending peacefully thoughts your way.
Brenda
Jul 7th, 2005, 08:09 AM

I would like to add my condolences for what those of you in London are going through. It is inexcusable that this happened.
Jul 7th, 2005, 08:36 AM

All of us here in London appreciate all the expressions of support and sympathy from our friends around the world. Thank you all.
Jul 7th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Kavey

Very happy to hear that you are seemingly not directly affected. I am pretty much shattered to have seen todays events. My sympathies go out to all Londoners as well all as those affected by these henious deeds especially any readers or writers on this board.

Selwyn Davidowitz
Jul 7th, 2005, 08:00 PM

My thoughts are with you Brits tonight.

Lest us not forget Egypt lost its Iraqi ambassador to Irag today. He was murdered by people with the same motivation. My thoughts are with Egypt, too.
Jul 7th, 2005, 08:28 PM

make that, Egypt lost its ambassador to Iraq today.

Search this Thread