Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Londolozi Varty vs. Kirkman's Camp; or Inyati, Makalali Lodge

Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of four with 2 kids - ages 7 and 9 - who are planning our first safari in S. Africa in early November 2011. We are planning a 4 night stay at one lodge and are trying to decide between Londolozi Varty (approx $8800) and Kirkman's Camp (approx. $7000) (in each case, not including transport costs). Is the safari experience (i.e. animal sightings and guides) much better at Londolozi vs. Kirkman's or are we just paying for more deluxe accommodations? We are willing to splurge if the experience is unmatched.

Also, one agency suggested Inyati Game Reserve and some South African friends suggested Makalali Game Reserve. It seems like the less expensive safaris are not as "all inclusive" and charge for all the incrementals - bottled water, beer, laundry, etc. Does the safari experience compare to Londolozi or Kirkmans or are we better off spending the money since this is a once in a lifetime (at least for the adults!) experience.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide!
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 06:59 AM

Making one's mind up about where to stay on safari is often tough, but consider it a win-win decision. It's likely whichever you choose, you'll have a great time.

I haven't stayed at Kirkman's but have stayed at Londolozi. You won't go wrong with Londolozi (putting it more positively, you'll probably love it). They're famous for their leopards and when you do find them, you'll not be stuck in a queue which might occur at some of the other Sabi Sand properties. Londolozi is all-inclusive with respect to drinks so, as you say, you don't need to be worried about paying for some of the incidentals.

Makalali has an interesting program for children 6-12 called Mini Rangers. Because you have the two children coming with you the program may appeal to you. You'll see the usual animals but I believe the reserve has only a handful of buffalo.

If you truly believe this is a one time deal for you (can't tell you how many times I've heard people say this then find they start talking about going back to Africa once home) I'd lay my money on Sabi Sand.
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 07:27 AM

Are young kids allowed on game drives at Londo and Kirkmans? If they are, they will likely to have you in your own vehicle - and might make you pay extra. I'd ask. It's only fair to the other guests.

I choose not to pay the high rates you are looking at. That way I get to keep going back. We average about $50 pp in extras - drinks, laundry,etc - in three nights at a camp. I pay way more than that in tips. No need to pay for stuff I don't need - spa, private plunge pool, over the top food, 1000ct sheets. I'd rather go somewhere that the kids have some activities, and maybe other kids to meet. Some camps are very "stuffy".
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 03:15 AM

I have stayed at both Kirkmans and Londolozi Varty on numerous occasions and you can't go wrong with either of them! Children aged 6 and older are permitted on game drives. Guests who stay at both these lodges will respect the fact that they are child/family friendly, so you don't need to pay extra for a private game viewing vehicle as your children's ages are within the acceptable ages as predetermined by these lodges. As I said, both these lodges are great - my recommendation would be Londolozi Varty, if you are able to pay the extra $ - it definately will be worth it!
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 12:07 PM

You may have already made your plans, as I see that this is a relatively old forum. We stayed at Kirkmans about a decade ago for three nights. At the time our kids were 16 and 12. We and they loved it. The drivers were superb, and we saw all the big 5 and more. The camp itself reminded me of a great white hunter colonial type of place -- cabins with tin roofs and the like. For us it was a perfect place to go as a family.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 01:33 PM

Late response… I was in South Africa and Zimbabwe for three weeks and got behind on my Fodors duties!

There is one huge difference that separates Inyanti, Londolozi, and Kirkman’s Camp from Makalali. The first three are all within the Sabi Sands and therefore within the Kruger National Park ecosystem. Makalali is outside the Kruger ecosystem and is itself within a fenced reserve. In my purist opinion, this is a major difference.

Comparing Inyanti, Londolozi, and Kirkman’s Camp is a bit easier. First of all, the Sand River runs through all three properties. Kirkman’s is downstream of Londolozi which is downstream of Inyanti. This is important especially in early November. If the rains have not started in earnest, the River may be a vital water supply and there will be a lot of animal activity along the River.

All three camps are in the same ecosystem. Inyanti is only separated from Londolozi by Singita and few other camps. There is no fence so an animal at Londolozi could theoretically wander to Inyantil. Londolozi is only separated from Kirkman’s Camp by MalaMala and here there is no fence here either.

The Sand River valley is prime leopard habitat which, in addition to the dry season water source, is a major benefit to a Sand River or Sabi River safari. You can expect to see the big five at all three properties and quite possibly on a daily basis. In my opinion, the Sabi Sands offers the best general big mammal viewing opportunities in Southern Africa.

Londolozi is known for putting incredible effort into the “hotel services”. In other words, they have fine china, excellent wine lists, scrumptious food, massive rooms, and all the modern luxury amenities you would expect in a give start hotel. It is also a family run lodge and the family is on site (like Lion Sands) where Kirkman’s is owned by a corporation. This does make a difference in my opinion. Give the age of your kids, the kids program at Londolozi may tip the decision in their favor.

Hope this helps. Be sure to have your kids visit a school if they can during the school week. Here is an idea where you can take them during the day or on the way to Nelspruit when you leave. Here is a cool place they might enjoy: www.africanpreschool.org

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies. We have decided to stay at Kirkman's and are looking forward to an excellent adventure in a couple of weeks!

Thanks again!