Londolozi: Bateleur v. Safari Lodge

May 13th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Londolozi: Bateleur v. Safari Lodge

Need some advice picking between Bateleur and Safari Lodge at Londolozi. I recently stayed at Singita Boulders (loved it, was absolute luxury) and didn't see any leopards! As Londolozi = leopard in most reviews I read, my fiance and I are looking at spending a few days there. What are the main differences between Bateleur and Safari Lodge?

I have read that Bateleur looks run-down now. Can anyone verify that? Which of the two is newer? Is safari lodge the equivalent of Castleton camp at Singita (i.e., more rustic and run-down but more intimate?)

Which is more intimate and romantic? And who has the best food?

(Tree Lodge is not an option as they are already booked for the dates we are looking at going.)

Thank you all for your input and wisdom!
May 13th, 2004, 08:45 AM

soleil17-
First of all, I'm sure you have heard that Singita is much more luxurious than Londolozi.

Having said that, we stayed at both the Tree and Bateleur camps this past March and were not disappointed in either.

Bateleur has twelve rooms as compared to Safari Lodge's six and it is the main camp of the Londolozi group. I have no reference point on Safari but know it is also supposed to be very nice, and more intimate.

I did not think Bateleur was run down. There are eight chalets and four suites. However, if you do decide to stay there ask for Suite 101. It is by far the nicest suite at Bateleur. The view is magnificent sitting right on the rocks at Sand River. You could easily stroll on to the river from that suite.(Though not suggesting you attempt it!) Large plunge pool and great sala.

If I had to make the choice between the suites at Tree Camp and Suite 101 at Bateleur, I would choose the latter even though the camp is bigger. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

The food was comparable at both camps.

As far as game viewing, we had leopard sightings on five of six game drives. And up close and personal with most of them. It was great to see them so close and follow them in the vehicle for extended periods of time.

We did have a private vehicle and our guide and tracker were superb.

If given the opportunity, I wouldn't hesitate to return.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

May 13th, 2004, 03:43 PM

As a suggestion, you may want to inquire about a waitlist for Tree Camp. I stayed there last May and loved it. As for leopards, you are going to the right place. I think there are about 16 or so on the property. Great leopard sightings every day on my visit. Enjoyed Maxine as our Ranger, as she was passionate about the cats. Enjoy!
May 14th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately the wait list for tree is already a mile long. Anyone out there actually stayed at safari lodge?

Thanks again!

Search this Thread