Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Londolozi (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/londolozi-682459/)

Orcaboy Feb 23rd, 2007 03:13 PM

Londolozi

Hi, I have just booked a four night safari to Londolozi Game Reserve in December 2007 - primarily for leopard. Has anyone been there in early December and how do they rate the leopard sightings? I understand it will be hot and possibly wet but good for the baby big cats. Any comments much appreciated. Orcaboy.

mkhonzo Feb 24th, 2007 04:39 PM

You will see leopard in the window of four days. Frankly this would be true of any of the sabie sand private game reserves.

Yes it will be hot and humid, if the rains havn't arrived as they did this past summer it could be dry. Duh... Neither the hot, cold wet or dry has any significance on the size of the baby cats or any sized baby cat for that matter....

KayeN Feb 25th, 2007 04:22 AM

Hi Orcaboy

Was at Londolozi in December 2005 and July 2006 and had good cat viewing, more so in July 2006. We did not have any rain in December though I was there for Xmas that year. It was very warm, though not as hot as December 2006! I am not sure what you mean by baby big cats, but lion babies were not seen in December but did see some in July, while the same applies to leopard cubs, none in December and 3 in July. So the weather is irrelevant for cubs, depends on which of the cats have cubs and if there are to be found on Londolozi on the four nights you are there! I would be surprised if you went there for four nights and had no leopard and lion sightings, though this past December, with male lions in some conflict in the Sabi Sands, certainly around MalaMala and Lion Sands and Kirkman's Kamp, lion sightings were not as regular as they usually are! But leopard were plentiful, and also saw a few cheetah, though no cubs.

Kind regards,

Kaye

FriedmanC Feb 25th, 2007 05:09 AM

My wife and just returned from Londolozi (Feb 20-22) and we saw leopards on three separate drives. Are you staying at tree camp? It's closing for March-April or a complete redesign.

Orcaboy Feb 25th, 2007 10:31 AM

Hi All,

What a great forum - I've just discovered it.

mkhonzo: sorry, showing my ignorance. When I was told Dec will be good for young animals I guess they were referring to the young antelope and buffalo. I now know the cats don't have a particular season.

KayeN:

Thanks Kay - I feel reassured now. I was reading other blogs saying Dec (in Kruger) wasn't a good time for game viewing. Your other posts are fascinating - thanks for making the effort.

FriedmanC:

I'll be staying at Bataleur Camp in Dec. Was Londo under the new management when you were there? Would love to hear more on your experience. What sort of encounters did you have with the leopards; did you see solitary males, females, cubs? How was the weather?

Thanks everyone.

Best wishes,

OB

Tanky Feb 25th, 2007 09:53 PM

I was at Londolozi in September in 2006 and saw leopards on every one of the ten game drives. Maximum in any one game drive was six - two females and four cubs.

Orcaboy Feb 26th, 2007 01:56 PM

Hey Gary,

I just found the link to your Londolozi photos - they are superb. May I ask what camera/lens you use?
Thanks in advance.

Tanky Feb 27th, 2007 07:11 AM

Hi,

I was using a Canon 30D. Most of them were taken with a 100-400L IS lens. However, in some cases with the leopards a 200 would have easily sufficed.

I'd go back Londolozi in a heartbeat...I'd also like to try Mala Mala but as a single traveller their 50% single supplement has always put me off.

napamatt Feb 27th, 2007 07:33 AM

Tanky

Somewhere there is a thread that talks of MM having 1 room available without single supplement. I don't remember who provided the information, but you might want to talk to your agent.

Orcaboy
You'll soon get the hang of it all!
As for Kruger, you are self drive and limited to roads, so thick bush (wet season) will limit viewing. However at a private reserve, no such limitations exist. Though the thick bush does still make spotting animals harder, and if it really rains then spotting can be very tough.

Orcaboy Feb 28th, 2007 12:36 AM

Thanks guys.

Tanky: I use a Canon 20D with the 100-400mm IS lens and am usually very pleased with the results. I will be attending a conference in Cape Town in December and will be a solo traveller for the safari. In addition to the 4 nights at Londo I've also just booked 2 nights at Mala Mala straight after. It's true - they do have one single room available at MM main camp which you can book and so avoid paying the single supplement. Best, Orcaboy

KayeN Feb 28th, 2007 01:23 AM

Hi Orcaboy

You will not be disappointed with MalaMala. I absolutely love it! Gameviewing and photography are my passions, and MalaMala is always where I am at my happiest. I am back there in March and I also will be there in December 2007. The gameviewing presently on their cyberdiary makes me wish I was there now, but I know it will be great come Friday week when I return. It is the reason why I keep going back!

Kind regards,

Kaye

Orcaboy Feb 28th, 2007 03:22 AM

Thanks Kaye, Maybe I'll see you there in Dec. Have a wonderful trip next month and I look forward to reading a trip report on your return?
BTW: My best ever leopard viewing to date was, surprisingly, in Chobe National Park in Botswana. Two leopard sat in a low branch over hanging the Chobe river watching elephant cross at sunset - sublime!

Best,