loita herds/ mobile camps

Old Nov 26th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

loita herds/ mobile camps

Hello

As there are camps following the migration in the serengeti, are there lodges/camps for different areas in and around the loita plains to follow the migration in different months...Is there a map of the loita plains and surrrounding areas with/without location of camps/lodges

Would be very interested/ all info is welcome

Moni
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Isn't the Loita plains prime pastural lands for the Maasai and their cattle? pardon my ignorance of this ......

Wouldn't you be better off inside the Mara triangle at any given time of the year?
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi Hari,

I know but, around 3,00,000 the loita herds,wildebeest(I am not sure) migrate to the area to have their calves around feb/march, or have the herds been going to other areas, would definately like to know

I am planning to stay for 8 nights around the mara, preferably now in feb as it rains in dec/jan( maybe it will rain in feb, who knows) and spend 8 nights around ndutu in tanzania in mobile camps

My main interests is seeing the cats, and as the lion prides as well as other cats congregate together when the wildes are around
was interested in knowing how the wildlife viewing would be when the calves are born in feb in kenya, where there is high concentration of wildes etc etc

Moni

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 04:45 AM

For those herds, whether in the Mara or Serengeti, that do not migrate, they will "calve" their young where they regularly hang out.

An assumption only, in the Serengeti, for those non-migrating may, however, move with their traveling mates to the Southern/Ndutu areas to drop the babies.

In the Mara, those who make Loita their home, most likely calve here.

In both cases, where there are babies, the predators will follow - lion, hyena, cheetah, leopard - to fill their bellies.

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sandi,

Any idea where one must be staying to be close to the loita herds during jan/feb

Moni
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 07:54 AM

As far as I know (I am not a Loita expert) the Loita herds follow more or less a clock-wise migration up through the Lemek/Ol Kinyei area on my map towards the Maji Moto plains in the direction of Narok which they reach by March-May.

By June they start to enter the Loita plains (more or less in the Maji Moto/eastern Ol Kinyei group ranch areas on my map, and Sinia before entering the Mara proper in July.

http://www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mar...a2007Nov20.jpg

I always find myself in the Southern Serengeti during this these months and I have not driven the Maji MotoPlains/Loita Plains in the wet season. So my knowledge is very basic and I am not aware of permanent lodges/camps (nearest is probably Ollaro). Mobiles are the way to go!

You bring up an interesting idea - I will have some free time in mid February and should probably gather some Maasai friends and go exploring!
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Well Eben,thanks for the map, must compliment you on the amount of info u have on your website

I have given u a wonderful suggestion of mobile camps and if u ever organise anything, I will be your first client...

Well I want to see lots and lots of cats, in feb, where would u locate yourself in and around the mara for 7-8 nights

Moni

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 08:49 AM

I will post my views on cats in your "Mara cats" thread!