Lodging at or near Kilimanjaro International Airport

Feb 9th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Lodging at or near Kilimanjaro International Airport

We finally did it! Booked our trip to Istanbul - Tanzania - Rwanda for September. Now I need to figure out lodging and transport near JRO for our arrival in Tanzania. Since our best flight options were on Turkish Airlines, we arrive from Istanbul into JRO (unfortunately) at 1:10 am. Our OAT safari starts later that evening in Arusha at the Olasiti Lodge.

I've been trying to reach Kia Lodge but they just don't respond. Since I don't really want to hire a taxi in the middle of the night, I preferred the idea of just getting to bed as soon as possible, then maybe midday arranging transfer to Arusha. We could either taxi in daylight or just go back to JRO and pay OAT for the transfer they will be making for most of the rest of their tour group who are arriving from Amsterdam. I also found a nice lodge midway between JRO and Arusha who will pick us up for a price, but still probably an hour's drive in the dark and so we will get to sleep even later and still have to transfer to Arusha.

Any other ideas or tips on how to get Kia Lodge to respond? Or should we just try to go all the way to the Olasiti in the middle of the night?
Feb 9th, 2013, 09:36 AM

At that hour whether at KIA or even Olasiti, you'll sleep-in late. I'd just contact Olasiti, book a room, arrange for them to meet/greet/transfer you on arrival and be done with it. If staying at KIA, there's nothing there to do... it's in the middle of nowhere outside the airport.

Just go into Arusha/Olasiti and when you wake enjoy the balance of day in/around the hotel the group will be meeting up at; go into town... and don't quibble about a few extra $ if you have to pay for the Olasiti transfer vs what a taxi would charge... you've already paid a chunk of change for the safari.

Good luck.
Feb 10th, 2013, 01:54 PM

Kibo Guides is the outfitter for OAT's "Safari Serengeti". I'd see if you can contact them and set up transportation from JRO to Olasiti and just pay for an extra night there. It's a nice lodge and grounds and a nicer place to wait for your group than at KIA Lodge. I've used Kibo for several safaris of my own and found them to be accommodating... great guides, too. If you get Peter Njau, Godliving Makindu, or Nixon Massawe, tell them "Sharon" says "Hi!" Try contacting Josiah at Kibo with your request: [email protected].
Feb 10th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I've done just that.

Search this Thread