Lockers at Jomo Kenyatta Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi...Does any one know if there are lockers at the JK Inter Airport where we could store spare clothes, boots etc. and if so has anyone used these facilities? We would like to store some of our Gorilla Trekking gear there while we are on Safari. My other question is how strict are the airlines that fly between camps in Kenya on the 33lbs. limitation reported to us. Thanks, Bob
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Can't remember if there are lockers, but if you're using a tour operator for your safari, I'm sure they'd be happy to store your extra bags for you.

Your luggage may be weighed at Wilson airport in Nairobi and you may be asked to pay if overweight. Flying out of bush airstrips, I don't think they really have any way to weigh it. I've not seen any scales.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM
sandi

Your bag/s will be weighed at Wilson. That's it. If overweight, they may assess a fee.

As Patty mentions, arrange for your tour operator to store items you don't wish to take on safari. Another option, if returning to same hotel for day-room in NBO when done with safari - leave your stuff there.

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:10 PM

I had a really long layover at the airport in August -- like 6 or 8 hours -- and my daughter did not want to leave the airport. So we explored every place in the international terminal that one could explore (several times over). I can say that there were no lockers in August.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 09:11 PM

The local airlines from Wilson are strict on luggauge allowances, as most of the aircraft are light, and the extra kilos make a difference. They will charge for excess weight.

There are no lockers at JKIA. As mentioned, you could leave your luggage at a Naiorbi hotel, or with your safari operator.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you who have answered this posting...I did discuss this with our tour operator and they will be storing anything we want...will also do some real packing planning to try and stay as close as possible to the 33 lbs. Can anyone give me an idea as to what the weather might be like in late Aug./Sept in both N. Tanzania/Kenya as well as PNV in Rwanda? Bob
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 01:10 PM
sandi

Aug/Sep is winter in East Africa; it is the dry season (but known to have a shower or two). Mid-day temps are usually mild, in mid-70s. Mornings and nights are chilly to cold, can drop to freezing, but often in the 40s. The temps start to warm mid-morning.