Singita Out/Phinda (!) In

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singita Out/Phinda (!) In

Thanks to all who gave tips and opinions and advice as we considered alternatives to Singita for our August trip to SA and Bottswanna.

Fickle to the bone, after soliciting input on how to spend two extra days in Sabi Sands or the Delta, we ultimately disragrded everybody's kind suggestions and settled on something completely different: a return to Phinda.

So, for any who are planning a similar trip the intinerary is now this:

3 nights Phinda (Vlei Lodge)
3 nights Madikwe Safari Lodge
3 nights Mombo
2 nights Jao
2 nights King's Pool

The resoning is emotional: on our last Safari, Phinda was such a delight that -- despite all the other wonderful options -- we ultimately felt we had to go back. Game viewing is probably better in other places; the reserve is very definitely fenced...but its just such a lovely, positive and hospitable place, we'd almost feel guilty not to visit when in the neighborhood!

So that's where we've landed. It's set (pretty much!) in stone and -- as always -- a thousands thanks to all the nice people here who took time to give us excellent advice and suggestions.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Mike

Looks like an awesome trip. In fact that will be a nice trip culminating in Botswana at my favorite camp.

It is definitely true that a place can get under your skin and make you want to go back - no bad thing in my opinion.

If you are hard core then try and request Brian at Kings Pool, his rule for drives is first out, last in. I love him and his partner Chantel, she is a little easier on the system, but a great guide and lovely host.

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Hi Mike,

Look like a great itinerary -- a lot of contrast between Phinda, Madikwe, and Botswana. Personally, I think Phinda is a great choice -- it has a such a range of available acitivities which aren't available at a lot of other reserves. You'll see plenty of game in Botswana, never fear.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Mike 14c,

What all did you see at Phinda and what month and year did you do your previous visit? If you had a report you can just give the link if you prefer.

Your next trip looks great too.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM

Mike,

Will you need to sacrifice your final morning game drive at Phinda before flying out to Madikwe?

I will be going from the Sabi Sand to Madikwe later this year, and I will fly on a FedAir transfer and following the Sabi Sand, I will be flown directly back to Joburg, and have only 15 minutes before I am rushed back on an awaiting FedAir flight to Madikwe. Fortunately, I should not miss any game activities.

I would love to visit Phinda, but I just have not yet made my way to the area. I think Phinda would combine very well with this luxury lodge:

www.mkuzefalls.com

Mkuze Falls offers Big Five game viewing as well as luxury accomodations and a private plunge pool.

Back to your itinerary, do you have an overnight in Joburg between Madikwe and Mombo or are you going up to Gaborone and getting an air charter to Mombo?

Is this your first visit to Madikwe?
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:27 AM

Mike,

What about that transfer from Phinda to Madikwe? Is it possible the same day? Or do you overnight at JNB? I'm building a similar itinerary and would like to follow Phinda with Madikwe.

Thanks!

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi, All:

Rocco: the flight from Phinda to Madikwe is a private charter, and should not interfer with morning game drive, but you never know until you get there. Vis-a-vis Madikwe to Mombo: we're driving from Madikwe very early in the a.m. up to gabarone, then flying to Maun and from thence to Mombo. Its a lot, but I prefer to go back through Jo'burg. This it the first visit to Madwike...we're looking forward to it. Wish it were two days, but Mombo was booked solid until the day of our arrival.

Mister Aviator: I think the above answers your question as well.

Atravelynn: we had wonderful sightings at Phinda, although overall game viewing in Sabi Sands was better. That doesn't detract fromthe overall Phinda experience, however, which is wonderful. I did do a report, but I'm I'm not getting the hyper link to copy here. If you click on my name, you'll see all my posts (not so many) and you;ll find the trip report from August 2004 easily I think. Let me know if not.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Thanks Mike14c,

I even found the post where I asked my Phinda question previously and you already answered it.