Living in S. Africa?

Dec 9th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Chris Felton

Living in S. Africa?

I was recently presented with a tempting opportunity to live in Cape Town, starting in mid 2002. I have visited SA many times, but this would be a several year long commitment.

Any insight others could provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm most interested to know how many Americans are living in SA? Also, what is the general impression.

I now live in Manhattan now, and just need to get away for a while, for reasons that I probably don't need to explain.

Thanks!
Chris, NY, NY

Dec 10th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Lisa

Good luck with your decision.

Nobody can tell you what to do, but speaking as an ex-South African living in America, if it was me I would grab the opportunity to live in a different country and experience a different place and way of life and I can think of a lot worses place to do it than in Cape Town, which is in my opinion, one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Cape Town is safer than the other major cities but you still have to be careful and aware.

I can't answer the question about how many American are living there but South Africans generally love the American accent and you will be an interesting and welcome addition. I think that many will also appreciate that you are going there and would probably make you very welcome. Especially if you are single.

There is so much to see, do and appreciate about that part of the world. Cape Town also has long summer days and people usually hit the beaches after work.

You can always come back and if you don't take the opportunity you will always wonder.

I would weigh all the above up against the safety factor and then make a decision.

Just whatever you do, if you can, get your salary in dollars or the rand equivalent of a fixed DOLLAR amount. The value of the Rand just keeps on dropping

Dec 11th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Celia

Twenty years ago my husband had a similar opportunity, and I am so glad he took it. We lived in Jo'burg, not Cape Town, but we found all of SA to be welcoming to Americans and a wonderful place to live. On every trip back over the years we have found the same warm welcome.

Living in a foreign country is a completely different experience than vacationing -- you'll come home a changed person, certainly. Living in Africa will give you a perspective on world affairs that nothing else can; not even, I think, living in Europe.

We found South Africans to be very astute politically, and quite philosophical. They're also hospitable -- you won't feel alone and forgotten. People will be having you over for a braii all the time, and taking you to the theatre or the movies or something every free minute.

If you can arrange things so you don't take a bad financial hit, I'd say go.
I would, for sure.

Dec 11th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Celia

Oops! I misspelled braai. It's South African for barbeque.

Search this Thread