Living in Morocco?

Mar 24th, 2001, 03:46 AM
Janet

Living in Morocco?

My husband is considering teaching ESL somewhere in Morocco. We would be living there for about 6 months so I'd appreciate hearing about living conditions (ie. indoor plumbing, appropriate dress, availability of fitness centres, attitudes towards women, etc.)We have lived in other countries, including Jordan and China so it's not that we're inexperienced; we just want to be prepared.

Apr 2nd, 2001, 09:50 AM
Elaine

I lived with my family in Medhiya Plage which is about 1 hour north of Rabat. It is on the beach and was great. We had a really nice 3 bedroom villa with 2 bathrooms.

I think it depends where you live. If you're in one of the cities and make enough money, you can get a really nice home.

The peace corp workers did not make enough to rent one of these homes even if they had several people together.

The people in Morocco are very nice. I got a maid for about $80.00/month. That was for 6 days a week. The maid spoke English and went shopping with me in the beginning.

The men were much better than the men in Egypt. I didn't have any problems with men touching me in Morocco, but did in Egypt (even when I was 7 months pregnant and wearing a dress).

When ever I needed to get something done and it involved men, I just told them that my husband wanted it this way or that way. That worked very well.

Search this Thread