Little Vumbura or Xudum or Xarrana?

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little Vumbura or Xudum or Xarrana?

anyone have an opinion as to which of these camps is better situated to see wildlife in Botswana? Which one should I choose?
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:12 PM

Would be good to know of which time/year you are thinking

&Beyond:
XUDUM and XARANNA are typical Delta destinations means WATER! Birdlife is excellent.
Xudum is in an area where for years wasn't a camp so wildlife is shy. BUT the camp is "out of this world". Xaranna is a similar experience and also brandnew!
These camp offer wildlife but not as much as e.g. in the more northern parts of the country where water is not that abundantly avialable especially in the wet season. Or let's say the wildlife at these camps is not that "predictable".
Legendary &Beyond hospitality.
Very much into detail regarding ambiance etc.

Lt. Vumbura is Wilderness and wildlife is supposed to be better in that part of the country because it's much drier.

A combination of Lt. Vumbura and Xudum would be nice - at least for me it would make sense.

SV
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM

Penelope41, are you going to only 1 camp? If you state your entire itinerary, a better answer can be given.

Vumbura has great wildlife and water activities. There are lions that hunt in the day, leopard, cheetah, elephant, lechwe (found near water camps), kudu, and you even have a chance to see the beautiful sable antelope.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

thank you. I am planning the trip for May and was going to do 3 nights Savute Under Canvas, 2 nights Sandibe and three nights somewhere else...I like andbeyond as I have stayed at their camps before in South Africa but since this will be my first trip to Botswana and it is so expensive I really do want to see wildlife in the best possible place in Botswana. I can't afford Mombo camp but can pay $1,400 a night for a couple...still trying to figure it out. We had thought about going in the dry season but it is too expensive for us. So we thought May might work. Any suggestions would help.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:14 AM

Little Vumbura has very very mediocre wildlife and game viewing, the tents while new are the smallest and least comfortable of any I have ever stayed in. If you are looking for a water camp try Kwetsani. I have no idea what Spaceflugel is talking about. While it is one of the few places you are likely to encounter Sable Antelope, the other game viewing is sparse. You can have the ambience of a Mocoro at sunset in many other camps plus the opportunity to see a whole lot more wildlife. If you are determined to do that specific area, check ot Vumbura.
Ted
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 01:05 PM

Temba, is sparse game a recent development due to some kind of change in the environment? When did you go? Or has the reduction in wildlife been a development over time?

I did not have poor wildlife sightings in 2006. Other people saw even more than I did (leopard, cheetah) because I was hanging out with the lions much of the time. Have things changed in the last few years?

Kwetsani is a good suggestion, regardless of what is going on at Vumbura.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:16 PM

atravelynn, Yes the wildlife is now medicore. One small pride of lion, no cheetah and a single elusive leopard who I did manage to spot in 2008. I don't know how typical this is but the guides seem to think something is going on? It is a pretty camp but the tents are very small. Somehow, Little Vumbura just dosen't feel like Wilderness Camp. If I recall, 2006 was a very very dry year and that might have accounted for your good game viewing. Little Vumbura now plays up the Mocoro experience that I personally am not interested in. This is just my taste however and I can understand others feeling differently.
Regards-Ted
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM

atravelynn, I recall that LV was renovated (new tents) in 2006 or 2007. Perhaps you were there before their new micro-tent refit? Alos, I'm not sure how much reconstruction effects resident game. I would think not much but who knows?
Ted
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:48 PM

atravelynn, I just reviewed my notes and see that our guide suggested that an explosion in the Baboon populations was responsible for the decline in other wildlife. There were hudge numbers of Baboon everywhere. Evidently the Baboon kill lots of young cats. Perhaps that accounts for the change in wildlife activity. Lots of elephant and of course the Sable antelope so it's not as though it is a complete wipe out but certainly not up to other camps.
Ted
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 03:21 PM

penelope
You can go to

http://www.wildwatch.com/sightings/beyond-nxabega

To have a look at nxabega in the delta but also all other &beyond venues.

Temba

I guess you consider it your chique personal style of communication explicitly calling other poster names.
I find this offensive and would like you to rather refrain from referring to my posts and concentrate on spreading your wisdom.

Could you please enlighten us by giving some information: On which visit/what time/year is your statement based regarding Lt. Vumbura? e.g. would help a lot to get your statement into perspective.

As a extraordinarily well traveled safari tourist you might have realised that it's totally different what you encounter on safari. Season, impact based on unusual weather, predator interaction/conflict but also animal's ability to adapt to unusual circumstances or conditions lead or can lead to entirely different experiences. Not only from one year to the next but also within short terms.

So if penelope is going in May 09 I would assume your qualified experiences are not older than 3 months or better you should have left Lt. Vumbura last week. And even then it's most probably invalid.

SV
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 03:34 PM

Well Spaceflugel, I'm not sure what you are talking about as I never understand your posts. Obviously you feel you have something to say, I just can't figure it out. I'll refer to your posts as necessary whenever and wherever it is called for, O.K..
Ted
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:18 PM

Penelope-

That's soon - have you checked if any of the camps you are interested in are even available? It's not peak season, but things still sell out. Personally, Botswana is absolutely amazing so any camp you stay in will not disappoint. We chose Wilderness Safari camps for personal reasons, but had to take what we could get - we didn't have a lot of choices and that was 8 months out!! If you go with WS, you have to go through a travel agent - they don't take direct bookings. That might be a factor for you, too. Have a blast!!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:36 AM

I heard several reports that the Mapula wild dog pack was spending a hell of a lot of time in the Vumbura concession.........
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Ted,

Your knowledge about the Vumbura area is legendary and also your explanation why there is a decrease in animal populations is very convincing. WS will be very pleased by your comments.

Well done silly old man,

James
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 10:26 AM

You might want to reference the thread on this year's floods, that will have a marked impact on Vumbura fro the next few months and likely through next year.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 06:42 PM

It's just a dig against another foreign poster (SV) here - doesn't look like he has been to LV. I'm sure it's on his wish list. Until then he sure will hate everyone who went there.

PS: I met two private guides of WS on this trip - and they both mentioned to me that Vumbura is on every single private safari of theirs.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 06:48 PM

"If I recall, 2006 was a very very dry year and that might have accounted for your good game viewing. Little Vumbura now plays up the Mocoro experience that I personally am not interested in. This is just my taste however and I can understand others feeling differently."

More drivel. 2006 was an extremely wet year. Lynn should know this - she was in the Selinda early August of that year and saw few (if any) Elephants.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 07:06 PM

2006 was indeed wet from tremendous rains and healthy floods. I know I did not see even half a dozen eles in Selinda Aug 17-20, but other wildlife was out and about. Vumbura was just before Selinda and I was impressed with the variety of animals and the beauty of the place.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM

We are planning to stay at Little Vumbura in September. I've read a little on the floods, but I'm not sure how this will play out by September. If anyone has any experience and can shed some light on this I would be very grateful. We are also going to be at Savuti and wonder how the floods will impact that camp as well.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM

Indeed, Lynn. That's when you did meet the neighborhood "CHEETAH MUM"......... and she was posing for the pictures as usual, including the one you have on the other forum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information