Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Little Vumbura or Kwetsani (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/little-vumbura-or-kwetsani-675472/)

RSS Jan 31st, 2007 11:17 AM

Little Vumbura or Kwetsani

Comments on which one for the water camp or are they both similar?

jasher Jan 31st, 2007 11:34 AM

Hello,

Both LV and Kwetsani offer water and land activities. LV generally has better game-viewing (the Vumbura reserve is one of the best places in the Delta to see sable) whereas Kwetsani is a bit less intense on the game-viewing side but is in a particularly lovely part of the Delta -- so it depends what you're looking for.

In the past Kwetsani was posher, but LV is getting a complete refurb with new tents and a new lounge but will stay small (6 tents) and should be ready by the end of March 2007.

Cheers,
Julian

Kavey Jan 31st, 2007 12:12 PM

I visited LV back in 2001 and had a wonderful visit. I also absolutely adored Jacana during our 2004 visit. Jacana is, I believe, in the same area as Kwetsani so I'd guess Kwetsani is also a lovely camp. But do consider Jacana if you haven't already ruled it out. Although we find all of the smaller sized camps romantic, Jacana definitely had an extra magical touch.

brandywine Jan 31st, 2007 12:14 PM

Julian,

Nice to have you back on the board, and Congrats on your new venture.

Wow, that is nice to hear about LV. We were there in June 2005, and will be going back in June 2007 - it's my husbands favorite camp (so far anyway), so I hope the refurbishments are really done by then. But the small size of the camp and tents spread far apart is part of the charm, so hopefully that does not change.

jasher Jan 31st, 2007 12:54 PM

Hi Brandywine,

It's nice to be back. The renovations should be done well before you arrive. The number of tents will stay the same and retaining the intimate, friendly atmosphere that makes LV so special is definitely a priority.

Make sure you take some pics for the Safari Photo Album!

Cheers,
Julian

crystalsong Jan 31st, 2007 01:45 PM

Hi, everyone:

We were supposed to be at LV on the last three days of March, but were recently advised that we have been upgraded to Vumbura Plains. It is as a result of the renovations, I know, but we were very much looking forward to the smaller, more intimate atmosphere that we were expecting at LV. Are the tents as far apart in Vumbura as they are at LV? I know it's definitely more upscale at Vumbura, so we're not unhappy at all...just curious as to how our experience might now be different.

Thanks.

raelond Jan 31st, 2007 04:27 PM

We were at Kwetsani for three nights in June. It is a beautiful camp with raised tents, each with their own large, private deck. We had an elephant visit us within an hour of our arrival. Our first night there were lions in the camp and the next day two male lions were fighting over a kill in front of the camp. There was a lot of water in the concession at that time, but we still saw many animals, including a leopard and her cub. We would go back in a minute, but Tanzania is next up.

atravelynn Jan 31st, 2007 05:13 PM

Crystalsong,

Same thing with me. I visited LV, though, just to see the other place. Very charming. If you are interested, make that request and since you were "ousted" I'm sure it will be honored. You get a pleasant short boat ride too.

Vumbura provided excellent game, including my best kudu shots ever, sable, and a lion kill.

I don't think you can go wrong with Vumbura or Kwetsani.

The Vumbura tents are so far apart that to get from the main area to the end, it takes a good 5 minutes of brisk walking to reach the end of either side. I referred to it as a hike. There is a north and a south side with the main area in the middle and the tents are spread out on either side.

crystalsong Jan 31st, 2007 05:39 PM

Lynn:

Thanks, we will try to get over there to take a look at LV. Good idea! Thanks for the description, too.

girlpolo33 Feb 1st, 2007 03:52 PM

RSS: You would enjoy both camps a great deal. I've stayed at each camp, but fell in love with Kwetsani. We thought the game viewing was stronger at Kwetsani, but that is sometimes just the luck of the draw. The tents at Kwetsani are elevated about 10 feet and connected by elevated walkways. The views from your deck are stunning. LV's tents are on the ground, which is not my preference.

santharamhari Feb 1st, 2007 05:30 PM

How many tents between Vumbura and LV in total?

Hari

jasher Feb 1st, 2007 05:33 PM

Hi Hari,

7 at Vumbura Plains North
7 at Vumbura Plains South
6 at LV

Cheers,
Julian

santharamhari Feb 1st, 2007 05:35 PM

Ok, thks

Patrissimo Feb 2nd, 2007 08:04 PM

We stayed a LV for 3 nights in December.We had great animal viewing, however,we hated that the tents were not raised. It was slippery when it rained and muddy in the tents after we walked in. We will not stay there again although we were not sorry, because how would we know what we prefer until we had the experience.

santharamhari Feb 2nd, 2007 08:24 PM

Patrissimo,

Sorry to ask a redundant question....didnt you think of checking your shoes and removing them?

Being raised or not may not have solved your problem.....