Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Little Governor's versus Kichwa Tembo? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/little-governors-versus-kichwa-tembo-843408/)

simbakubwa Jun 4th, 2010 06:32 PM

Little Governor's versus Kichwa Tembo?

Has anyone been to both camps?

And does anyone have a preference or recommendation?

The prices are exactly the same.

simbakubwa Jun 5th, 2010 06:18 PM

cary999 Jun 5th, 2010 06:41 PM

sandi could probably help you but she is at the moment in Kenya. Lucky she :)
I've been to Lil Gov but not KT. Liked it a lot. Can only suggest you do search here. And/or wait maybe two weeks for sandi. Or maybe someone else can help?

regards - tom

trvlinsider Jun 6th, 2010 06:35 PM

I was at both about 1 year ago. What time of year are you traveling? Ltl. Gov is ideal year round, and a perk is that there is a balloon launch right there. KT is near the Mara NP Western Gate, so game may not be as abundant depending on the time of year you travel. And if you plan to do a Hot air baloon trip, be prepared for an early morning, 2 hour drive to get from KT camp to the launch sight. Personally, I prefered Lil Governors, but KT's "Sister" property, Bataleur Camp was realy awesome! (also more expensive).

DanaPhx Jun 7th, 2010 12:46 PM

I've only used the restroom at Little Governor's :>), but have been staying at Kichwa for the past eight years. Game is abundant around KT in my opinion - I travel usually in September. There is a balloon company that is just adjacent to KT now - so no worries for a long drive to Governor's. Bateleur is nice - but a little 'rich' for my blood. The only other place I have stayed in the Mara is the Serena and I would take KT over that any time. Love staying in a tent.

simbakubwa Jun 7th, 2010 06:27 PM

we will be there in january. wondering if kichwa tembo is better for accommodations (we are in the luxury tents in the main camp) and not at bateleur.

Or if we should switch to little governors.

they are the same price in january.

DanaPhx Jun 8th, 2010 07:54 AM

Again, not having been to Little Governor's - The luxury tents at KT are nice, but I wouldn't pay the $100plus difference between those and the 'regular' tents. Be aware that you have a longer walk from your luxury tent to the dining room and carpark to meet for your safari drives. The walkways are slabs of stone and you need to be careful when walking in the dark - take a flashlight because the walkways are dimly lit. It's not dangerous, just be aware :) BUT having said that I would go for the regular tents 4 through 7 as they afford a very nice view of the plains from your front porch. I'll be back this September and can't wait!

spassvogel Jun 8th, 2010 02:40 PM

I would definitely stay at Governors! The location is priceless!

When we stayed there a couple of years back there wasn't one Governors cars we watched on game drives where 3 people in one row were sitting!

SV ((@))

HariS Jun 8th, 2010 06:26 PM

Not sure of price points - what about camps like Rekero, Entim or Naibor? I've heard mostly good things about these 3 all in very good location.

SimonInKenya Jun 8th, 2010 08:41 PM

Little Governors is better, right inside the park

cary999 Jun 8th, 2010 10:12 PM

As SIK says, Little Governors is in the reserve right on the Mara River. Your game drive really starts 2 minutes after you get into the vehicle. FWIW here are a few photos from our safari there in Sep of 2006.
http://tomgraham.smugmug.com/SAFARI-.../2660541_NUZkD
Also, when you check/compare camp rates be sure to know if the rate includes the daily fee for the Mara reserve. It's not insignificant, maybe $70 pppd now?

regards - Tom

spassvogel Jun 9th, 2010 11:30 AM

Rekero and Naibor: in the 500US$+ range and Entim roughly 300US$.

I am not a fan of Naibor for 2 reasons:
- tiny washbasin in bathroom tent and real basins OUTSIDE the tent VISIBLE to askaris and animals ;-)
Not the best option for pre dawn and after dusk actions
Maybe it's kind of bush TV
- Owner kills big game elephants in TAZ, BOT etc.....
He got hospitalised in SA when he was kicked by an elephant (I LOVE when hunters are hunted!) in BOT in Oct when they had the raid.

Rekero has a fantastic guide (the co-owner)

All three are in prime locations!

SV ((@))