Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Little Governors Camp Rates (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/little-governors-camp-rates-319505/)

roderick May 21st, 2003 03:31 PM

Little Governors Camp Rates

I'm in the process of booking three nights at Little Governors Camp and I've found that it is more expensive to book rooms here if I go directly through Governors Camp.

Governors is quoting me rates of $260/night + $30/night (park fee), this is per person per night.

I have been able to get rates of $230 total per person per night through many of the Kenyan tour operators.

soniya May 21st, 2003 04:03 PM

Hi Roderick,
Governors Camp's rate is correct as this is their published rate, some Kenyan tour operators work on real low margins sometimes barely meeting costs due to the stiff competition they face. But do confirm with your tour operator that this $230 rate includes park fees and check with both parties what they are going to charge for bank transfers or credit card payments, just incase there is a catch...

LizFrazier May 21st, 2003 06:16 PM

Roderick-
What time of the year will you be going? If it is high season when the Wildebeest are on the Mara, normally July to October, there is not so much leeway for rate reduction or a free night. I've just booked my husband and I into Governors Main Camp for 6 nights and I went through the Governors Camp office in Nairobi. I tried other agents in Nairobi and I couldn't even get near the published rate.
Because Governors Camps are located inside the Park, they have a Park Official located right at Governors Camp and the park fees are paid directly to them and you receive your park passes from them. Governors Camp does not collect that from you. I think people staying at the other camps pay the park fees when they enter the gates to the park. If you travel with a group, perhaps that tour operator arranges this for you, but not Governors Camp. I preferred booking through them and as I say I couldn't even get that rate any other way. We are going in early September which is during the high season. We are also reserving a vehicle for three of the days and are paying for that in our booking. If you desire more information just ask. Liz

roderick May 21st, 2003 11:10 PM

Hi Liz,
There's nine of us traveling in mid-September. I was really surprised that the operators were cheaper than Governors, but I've received cheaper quotes from three different people.

LizFrazier May 22nd, 2003 04:36 AM

Roderick-
Maybe its because there are nine of you. Or because you are booking more than just there as I am. Sounds good in any event. Who are the operators? Liz

roderick May 22nd, 2003 06:05 PM

I have received rates from Predators, CC Africa, and Classic Safaris. All of them were better than what Governors would give me.

I was told by Governors that they don't give group rates.