Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Liquid restrictions {Carry On} in Africa Question
Notices

Liquid restrictions {Carry On} in Africa Question

Aug 30th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Liquid restrictions {Carry On} in Africa Question

We are flying from South Africa to Zambia and then Botswana back to South Africa. Are there restrictions on LAG? [100 ml and 1 litre plastic baggie]? I know there are none for {internal domestic} flights within South Africa but wondered about flights between these countries. I see "overseas" and "international" mentioned but not sure they are used interchangeably per the quote from SAA website:

Thanks~

I see this:
If you are travelling overseas, you will need to follow the new international security regulations that limit the quantity of liquids, aerosols and gels (LAGs) in your hand luggage. Please make sure that the liquids you carry on board are packaged and transported in the following manner:
Liquids, gels and aerosols must be kept in containers of 100ml each.
They must be packed in a 20x20cm transparent, re-sealable plastic bag.
Only one bag is allowed per passenger, and it must be shown at airport security.
Exemptions will be made for medications, baby products, and special dietary requirements. Duty free purchases such as cigarettes, liquor and perfume are also permitted in reasonable quantities.
Please note: LAGs only apply to international flights.
Oct 1st, 2015, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

To answer my own question with my actual experience --
Flight within South Africa, no need to concern with regulations, people carried bottles of water on and no inspection of liquids. Carry on bag went through X-ray, but no mention was made about taking anything out.
On the Airlink flights out of South Africa, yes, it matters. Once I had to take out bag with LAG; other flight left them in but they both went through X-ray.
Oct 1st, 2015, 04:35 PM

Thanks for sharing. Useful info for our upcoming trip.

Search this Thread