Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Lion World Tour (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/lion-world-tour-884586/)

Neuman605 Mar 31st, 2011 07:16 AM

Lion World Tour

Just returned from Lion World Tours "Kenya on Sale" trip...to say it wasn't absolutely phenominal is a total understatement. Words just cannot describe our adventure. There were 30 people divided into 5 mini-vans, we moved 4 times in 6 days. The entire trip was well beyond our expectations, air with Ethiopian Airlines, food, accomodations, weather and especially the animal life.

Each day we thought that it would be hard to beat but the following day always seemed to get better! We thought we were dreaming...everything was just too perfect.

Happy to answer questions for anyone if needed. We are already asking Lion World to find us a great bargain to Tanzania next spring as at least 80% of our group said they would head off again next spring with them.

sandi Mar 31st, 2011 08:10 AM

Thanks for your comments. Interesting though a recent participant, which I assume was on the same tour, posted similar "pros" on Trip Adviser, but also the "cons" as:

<i>"The Lion World tour is a great value if you like sitting on your butt all day. All the lodges are fantastic!!! And Kenya is an amazing place. This was our second visit there, but we are very active and fit and hate sitting all day. Also, our idea of lunch is around 12 or 1 o'clock, not 3 o'clock where you have to hurry and eat because the staff is closing the restaurant and you have to hurry and get back in the bus for more sitting on your rear end.

So I would recommend this tour if you know ahead of time that you will be rushed from a seat in a van to a seat in a restaurant all the time, but if you prefer a little more activity, this is not the tour for you, even if it is a bargain."</i>

Neuman605 Apr 1st, 2011 03:57 AM

Yes it is very true this is definitely a low impact, non-physical tour.
There is a lot of driving involved, many hours at a stretch, however we knew that going into the tour. If you know what to expect it certainly lessens things that can be considered cons.

cookielee Apr 8th, 2011 08:11 AM

The Trip Advisor post mentioned 2 optional tours. Did you do either of those? Are they worthwhile or would that time be better spent viewing animals at the lodge(s)? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Neuman605 Apr 10th, 2011 04:37 AM

Two optional tours....the only thing we were offered were waqlking tours through a Samburu Village and then later a Masai Village and yes we did both. They are really both similiar but the $$$ was given directly to the village chief or one of his sons so I felt better about it than giving it to the tour operator.

I also asked to be taken to the local Masai school where I donated ink pens, erasers and postcards from the US. LAter our entire group met with the deputy principal and we all donated cash.

Godson...Yes I know I missed Tanzania (still working & have limited time-off) but I have already contacted Lion World and informed them that if they can put together a great deal to Tanzania in spring 0f '12 like they did for Kenya, 80% of our group said they would go there with Lion World.

sandi Apr 10th, 2011 08:05 AM

Neuman605 -

FYI - Godson, is a tout promoting the link shown. Only joined today and replied similarly on various threads.

DMBTraveler May 8th, 2011 07:28 PM

Neuman605

When was your tour date and lenght of your tour. Any photos?

I almost went to Tanzania this year but thought the timing was off to see the animals there.Understand Feb/Mar is better for TZ.

May see you there next spring!

cary999 May 8th, 2011 10:08 PM

N605 - was that your first African safari?

regards - tom

sandi May 9th, 2011 09:00 AM

DMBTraveler -

Jan-Mar is great in Tanzania for the "calving" of the wildebeest in the Ndutu area or Southeast Serengeti. But that doesn't mean one won't find outstanding game viewing, especially the "migration" in June/July in the Western Serengeti and from late-Aug thru Oct in the Northern Serengeti for those herds that don't make it into Kenya's Masai Mara.

The "migration" can also be seen in the Central Serengeti late-May into June; also in Nov/Dec when they're returning south to calve again.

Remember though - there is more to safari than just the migration!

DMBTraveler Jul 20th, 2011 09:19 AM

Sandi

Thanks for input. I guess about anytime of the year is good to go depending on which area you visit.

I do have a concern for malaria and will need to do some more research.

atravelynn Jul 20th, 2011 12:00 PM

Many of us take malaria pills when going to Africa for a few weeks once or twice a year. I'd recommend it and have always taken them. No big deal.

If you are investigating a first trip to Africa, you'll be amazed whatever time of year you go.