Lion Sands?

Feb 10th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Lion Sands?

Has anyone been to Lion Sands Game Reserve? We're considering a 2-3 night stay there but I havent seen much about it in guide books or on travel websites. Any info or opinions are welcome.
Thank you!
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:37 AM

mo261:

Lion Sands is a relatively new game lodge in the Sabi Sands.They are situated in the southern section of the Sabi Sands and borders the Sabi River.

Currently they have only one operational lodge namely River Lodge.A new lodge will be completed by April but this lodge will be ultra luxurious and very expensive - in the range of 6000 rand pp/night.

Lion Sands is the only game lodge in the Sabi Sands that offer a wide variety of activities other than the traditional two game drives per day and bush walks.You can do tiger fishing in the Sabi River,sleep in their bush hide,special photography drives etc.

They have traversing rights over 3700 hectares of prime game viewing land.

Be sure to check out their new sister lodge on the other side of the Sabi River called Tinga Private Game Reserve-located inside Kruger.

See the website of their owners called African Pride Hotels.

On my visit there we saw the big five every day in a four day stay.

Good choice!
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:44 PM

My sister-in-law stayed there over New Year's. This was their first visit to a private safari camp. They now can see why we love it and are hooked. Lion Sands is the old River Camp from Sabi Sabi. It was destroyed in the big floods a few years ago and when their lease was up, Sabi Sabi gave it up.We had stayed there when it was still owned by Sabi Sabi. It has. of course, been completely rebuilt.

My sister in law and family loved everything about it. From their photos, the rooms looked a bit smaller and (only slightly)less luxurious than other camps we have visited. They said the food was outstanding and the level of service was wonderful. Game viewing is the same as other camps in the Sabi Sand reserve.

It has good frontage on the river.

Search this Thread